Using the FOI to find out who made complaint about unauthorised development

rockofages

We built an extension to the rear of our house 15 months ago and someone has recently complained to the council that it is an unauthorised development (it's not, it's built to be exempt).

As per the Planning Act the council should have first determined that the complaint was vexatious and ignored it, but they didn't.

The legislation is stacked in favour of the complainant as the council will not tell us who made the complaint, but have suggested that if a request is made under the Freedom of Information Act that they may have to let us know.

Has anyone made such a request under the FOI, and if so was it successful?

TIA.

I'm not sure they are obliged to give you confirmation about others, in that sense.

ONQ.

my engineer told us that you can request to look at any paperwork in relation to your property in the councils planning office.

Does it really matter who made the complaint? Whether it is an exempt development is a matter of fact, not of opinion. All you have to do is let the council verify what was done and determine if it is an exempt work.

It's not quite as simple as that. Compliant drawings, several OSI maps, and a fee of €80 have to accompany an application for a certificate of exemption. ie it's money and hassle, and not much different to applying for retention.

I want to find out who as I suspect it's part of an ongoing grudge.

Back