Using Debit Card for State Savings purchase.

creditworthy

Good evening , I know a debit card may be used to pay for state savings purchase, may I ask if its possible to make a large purchase using my card in the post office or is there a limit as to the max spending per day using a debit card.
Many thanks .

Depends on your bank
Revolut only allow €5,000 in a 96 hour period
AIB allow €5k a day
Bank of Ireland look not to have a limit.

Check your bank for their limits

Ptsb €1500 per day. Each card if a joint account.
They allow €5000 in transfer to " third parties " which I would imagine is An post.

It's one of the most annoying aspects of banking in Ireland with all the banks having limits on access to ones own money.

Does anyone know why they have done this, I note a thread on this forum from 2014 expressing the same complaints.

Its ludicrous, like the OP we would like to buy State savings certs as we are now in the position of having money sat on a bank account which we will need in a few years for various purchases and the State savings while low on interest would be right for us.

The limits on access, or rather, the limits on online transfers out of your accounts are there to protect you from fraud

Ptsb €1500 per day. Each card if a joint account.
They allow €5000 in transfer to " third parties " which I would imagine is An post.

It's one of the most annoying aspects of banking in Ireland with all the banks having limits on access to ones own money.

Does anyone know why they have done this, I note a thread on this forum from 2014 expressing the same complaints.

Its ludicrous, like the OP we would like to buy State savings certs as we are now in the position of having money sat on a bank account which we will need in a few years for various purchases and the State savings while low on interest would be right for us.
Pretty obvious, no? The same people moaning about the limits would be the first people to moan when their account gets cleaned out by fraudsters.

Thank you, I was just thinking that the online purchasing facility with State Savings is redundant so if I'm unable to use it to make ie ..a €50, 000 purchase or same for using the card in a post office to make purchase in one transaction and not multiples of 5,000.
Thanks everyone.
Reckon it's back to the bank draft !!

Pretty obvious, no? The same people moaning about the limits would be the first people to moan when their account gets cleaned out by fraudsters.
Well that can't be entirely the reason as in our case a Direct Debit for over €19,000 that was cancelled was still honoured with the bank saying " we don't really monitor the accounts that closely" .

We got it back a few weeks later with an apology saying that they shouldn't have allowed that amount leave the account without confirmation from either one of us.

Edit, I should add that our current account then was overdrawn by almost 13,000 where we have an official overdraft of 2500

There must be other reasons, I can't find any information from the bank explaining why the limits were imposed or how I can get them removed or increased.

Thank you, I was just thinking that the online purchasing facility with State Savings is redundant so if I'm unable to use it to make ie ..a €50, 000 purchase or same for using the card in a post office to make purchase in one transaction and not multiples of 5,000.
Thanks everyone.
Reckon it's back to the bank draft !!
Try getting a bank draft nowadays again talking about ptsb.

I got a bank draft recently in a PTSB branch. It was very easy (but only after I found a PTSB branch with a cash desk which was the difficult bit)
My local branch don't do counter transactions either, Liffey Valley would be an option for us although I think its time to change all other banks left have local branches with counter facilities.

I ended up getting a cheque book a few years ago from PTSB so I could buy state savings products for more than €2,500 etc

Paul - "Please note that from 7 February 2017 we are removing the individual transaction limit of €1,500 that applies to Visa Debit Card purchases. From this date onwards, any individual purchase transaction can be made up to the value of €2,500, in line with the daily transaction limit."

I ended up getting a cheque book a few years ago from PTSB so I could buy state savings products for more than €2,500 etc

Paul - "Please note that from 7 February 2017 we are removing the individual transaction limit of €1,500 that applies to Visa Debit Card purchases. From this date onwards, any individual purchase transaction can be made up to the value of €2,500, in line with the daily transaction limit."
Well ours is still at 1500 because we tried buying something which was 1650 recently she presented her card and it was rejected, put €1500 through it worked and my card was used for the balance.

But thanks for the information I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Back