Using building agreement to reduce stamp duty on site

Peadar

I am purchasing a site from a farmer subject to planning permission for €170k. The rate of stamp duty for this transaction is 9% as it is classed as non residential property.

If there was a building agreement included in the contracts I would pay 3% of site value or 3% of 25% of site value + building costs. At the moment we don't have a building agreement with anyone.

Can we include a building agreement in the contracts with a 3rd party builder and then pay the 3% rate rather than the 9% rate.

This building agreement would have no connection with the farmer, but would state that we are building a certain size house for a certain cost.

We still don't know if the farmer would be agreeable to any other clause being included in the contract, but I was wondering was this an angle that would be worth following.

Thanks
Peadar

Has your solicitor given an opinion on this matter?

Yes, but she is unsure about this area and has never dealt with it this way.

She reckons it is a grey area, because usually the agreement is used when purchasing a site off a developer and the building agreement is with the developer. The law doesn't state that the building agreement must be with the developer, but it must be part of the contract. I was just wondering had anyone any experience doing it this way, using a building agreement with a 3rd party in a contract.

Thanks,
Peadar

It won't work. For the site to be sold in this way, there would be VAT chargeable ( almost certainly)

It won't work. For the site to be sold in this way, there would be VAT chargeable ( almost certainly)

Thanks MOB, that makes sense. Whereas a farmer selling a site would not have to charge any VAT, because it's not part of a business transaction.

After making further enquiries last night with a different solicitor he doesn't think it will work either as there has to be a relationship between the Building Agreement and the person selling the site.

Thanks
Peadar

Back