USB & Broadband problem

D

Dowee

USB & Broadband problem

I have NTL broadband, the modem is connected via USB, however whenever I attach anything else (eg my digital camera) to the other USB port the modem doesn't seem to work, anyone know what the problem could be?

Do the devices work individually but not in tandem? Are the modem and camera powered separately or via the USB connector? Some USB connectors/hubs may have problems when .

The modem is plugged in separately (I assume this is what you are asking).

You mean it is powered by a separate transformer plugged into the mains and not just by the USB?

Sorry, that response wasn't the most informative, I meant the modem is separately plugged into the mains.

Both devices could still be drawing power from the USB and this could be the root of your problem. I can't think of any way to check/eliminate this other than getting a separately powered USB hub and trying the two devices with that. Have you Googled for specific problems with the specific devices (makes and models) that you are using just in case it's a known one?

connection

I was having similar problems with my USB connection on NTL broadband and stopped using USB and connected it by Ethernet port (think that's what it's called!) - no problems since. Someone told me that this is less processor intensive than USB as well? Clubman you know more about these things!

Re: connection

podgeandrodge - I think I have the appropriate hardware to try that solution so might give it a go later.

Clubman - any recommendations on good USB hubs, komplett.ie have some but having not been in the market for them before I don't know much about them.

Thanks

Re: connection

Sorry - I can't really answer the previous two queries directed specifically at me.

Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager/Universal Serial Bus controllers/USB Root Hub/(RBC)Properties/Power<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->Gives the consumption of USB available power.

usb

Wonder if USB is more processor intensive than Ethernet?
Wonder where you can pick up a good USB hub?

Not directed at anyone specifically. :b

Re: usb

Any possibility that using (some) ADSL modems via the USB connector is akin to using a software/WinModem (in which much of the data transfer related work is delegated to the host processor/driver) while using the ethernet port is akin to using a hardware modem (in which the work is done by hardware in the modem device itself)? A quick suggests that this may be the case with at least some USB ADSL modems...

Re: usb

Not exactly the same but close-ish. USB and ethernet are buses - a means for data transfer. An OS typically knows about ethernet because it usually has a dedicated function (networking). USB, on the other hand, has many hats. You can use USB for all kinds of things from webcams to storage devices etc. Where the work is required is in the 'wrapping up' of the USB to appear to the OS as a network device. I don't think that it's too processor intensive but it would be more processor intensive than a real ethernet adapter. Definitely not nearly as intensive as a winmodem.

As for the original problem (attaching multiple USB devices) it may very well be an issue around the power drain which is being applied. Especially if both rely on the USB port for power. But I think the NTL modem is mains powered. But you should probably use the ethernet port anyway. Far more straightforward. Especially if your ethernet adapter is already installed in your PC/laptop doing nothing.

Back