US shares to Euro

Banner13

Hi, virgin poster, so apologies if i'm asking already answered questions.
I have about $8000 in shares of an american company held for me by an American Financial services corporation and I have a few questions.
1) What is the max I can take out annually without incurring any tax losses?
2) With the exchange rate the way it is at the moment, is it possible to sell all of them and convert to euros but still leave them so as not to lose half of it to the tax man. In other words at what point are they taxed, when they are sold, when they are converted to euro or when they are transferred to an irish bank?
3) What would the general advise be, I'm not desperately in need of the money at the moment but like anyone else, i could do with it. Should i sell or not?

Again sorry, if these are stupid questions - i would not be considered a financial wizard!!

Apart from your first question (which is a tax one) the other two are looking for advice. Without knowing the stock they can't be answered, and my understanding is that discussing individual stocks on this website is prohibited.

Rory Gillen
Investment Advisor
GillenMarkets.com

1 - Depends whether you have other gains..and what type of shares they are (how you got them) and if they have increased in value if you purchased them..

The first €1,270 of an individual's annual gains is exempt. The balance is chargeable at 33%.

2 - You are liable for tax on the profit the minute you sell them.

3 - Sell €1,270 worth of them each year if you have no other taxable gains

2 - If you make the gain in January to November, the tax is payable by 15 December. If it's made in December, the tax is payable by 31 January.

2 - If you make the gain in January to November, the tax is payable by 15 December. If it's made in December, the tax is payable by 31 January.

Don't you declare it on your form 11 the year after you sell them? ie. sell in 2015 and pay by Oct 31st 2016?

Back