US Camcorder query ? Please help

S

sameoldg77

Hi All,

Can anyone answer the following Questions for me...Related to a Camcorder on BBHphotovideo in us.
JVC D93
1) If I get a US Camcorder do I just need to buy a convertor plug for the Voltage??

2) If it records in NTSC Format, When I put it onto my Computer will that convert it to PAL?? Or what software could I get??

3) Do Customs stop Items like this and charge VAT???

Any Help appreciated
Graham
Please don't use caps lock

Re: US CAMCORDER QUERY??? HELP!!!

As far as I know the answers are ;

1) yes you need a voltage/pins converter. You can buy one in maplin for around 13 euro.

2) I think you would need a video editing package that would be able to capture from the Cam to the PC in either format. e.g. Ulead VideoStudio 8 or Pinnacle Studio 9

3) They didn't stop mine coming in from France, but maybe they stop a small percentage of packages coming in.

Customs

They do charge custom duties on items coming from the US; the US postal service contracted european deliveries out to a german company that will charge you german VAT plus a handling charge before you can have your package. Anything coming from within the EU is fine as you pay VAT in the country of origin.

Have a look at for some more info

Re: Re:...

My US camcorder (Sony) just needs a 2 pin shaving plug adapter as the power supply can take 240 or 120V, quite common now for power supplies to be dual voltage.

Your PC can convert to PAL, can't recommend particular software. Or you can record to DVD in original NTSC as most (all?) DVD players will playback NTSC signals on a DVD.

You might get the package through okay, customs only stop a certain (small I think) percentage of packages. Probably depends on how the package has been marked also.

US Camcorder

I have a US Camcorder, only need to change the plug, as it works on 110 or 240

As for the ntsc/pal conversion .. it's a nightmare. It does sound simple to burn dvds but not all dvds are compatible with all dvd players, we've wasted dvd after dvd trying to do this. Not sure if it's just that the dvd standard is still young .. although it's been around for a while .. perhaps someone can explain that.

you can't just plug your camcorder into your aud/vid sockets either which is a pain.

given my time again, I would pay the extra and buy in the eu .. or the far east where I think they use pal too! Try singapore!

btw I'm actually a techy ... so not just a hobbiest tearing my hair out!

Righty.. Power Supply Converter...

heya, thanks for all your responces on this topic.
i have ordered and am awaiting delivery of the jvc d72.

i bought a converter plug in maplin (e26) and am wondering if anyone can confirm ive got the right 1!!!
Plug Details: 45w sunpower plugin voltage converter
ac input range 200 -240vac
outpit 100-120vac 45w

Camcorder details: jvc d72
power consumption 4.6w/110-240v, 50/60hz
battery pack (bn-v408u) 770 mah

charger i got on ebay says..
(battery plug)
input dc 12v - 24v 500ma
output dc 7.2v/7.4v 650ma
ac/dc adaptor
input ac 100v-240v 300ma 56/60hz
output dc 12v 500ma

the guy in maplin was trying to explain voltage conversion but i didnt understand him :-(
If anyone can understand the above and tell me that my battery charger/camcorder wont blow...it would be much appreciated!
G

Re: Righty.. Power Supply Converter...

Sameolddog, not sure why you bought a voltage convertor. The camcorder specs you provided indicate it will operate in the US and in Ireland

Camcorder details: jvc d72
power consumption 4.6w/110-240v, 50/60hz

feck....

feck....i explained the situation to the bloke in the shop and thats what he said i needed. ah well..will bring it back.
guess i only need a us 2pin plug then?

Back