Urgent! Missed Visa Payment due to change of address

Legin

Hi,

Yesterday, I received a credit card statement from my bank. Problem is the payment was due 2 weeks ago!

I wrote to this particular bank about a year ago, and asked them to change the address on my account to my new home. I was unaware of any problem, as I have a zero balance on the account and this particualar bank to not send out statements on zero balances. Therefore I have not received any statements since then and there was no problems that I was aware of.

Unfortunately the €40 stamp duty went onto the card and the statement was sent to my old address. By the time it was forwarded onto me it was too late to avoid a "Late Payment". I am not worried about paying the money, however am greatly concerned about my ICB rating. I know that late payments on Credit Cards with this Bank do not show up at present, however this may change in the future and could cause me problems further down the road.

I posted the original letter, however did not register it or receive acknowledgement. I do still have a copy of the original. Unfortunately other things came up as they often do, and I never sought confirmation. In the letter I gave the relevant details and contact nos. and asked if there was any problem to phone/email me.

Do I have anyway of arguing my side? I am happy to pay money, butI do not want any record of late payment.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I want to contact the bank asap.

Contact the bank, send them a copy of the original letter plus the €40 and ask them to refund any additional charges and to ensure that your ICB record is not affected by their error.

Leave out any discussion about sending the letter registered, getting confirmation, etc.

I expect you will have nothing to worry about.
cheers,
Diziet

From July 2004, credit card companies have the option of supplying more information on credit card repayments to the ICB. In the past, information was mainly supplied by the lenders only where credit cards were revoked or cancelled. Now lenders have the option of supplying full information regarding opening and closing balances to the ICB. Your card repayment performance will be measured by the ICB on a monthly basis but due to the nature of credit cards, you will also receive an additional 30 days before negative information about your record is recorded.

Are credit ratings not overrated? Sure, they affect you if you want to get a loan as might only get a higher rate. However, if you have missed only one payment then I really dont see why there would be an issue. Do you not think you might be overreacting. Dont get me wrong, I could very well be too carefree.

late paytment of two weeks on visa card will not affect your credit rating.

Sure the CC companies love late payers - more interest and late payment fees. From my experience being late a few weeks, now and again, won't hit your credit rating.

Back