Upright/hand held vacuum cleaners

Up Rovers

Am thinking about getting one of these but some appear to be very expensive. Any recommendations?

I usually buy Nilfisk when it comes to vacuum cleaners as I think Dyson are very expensive and from reading reviews they appear not to be the best.

I see DID are doing two different ones at the moment [broken link removed] and [broken link removed] !!! so just wondering if any of you have any advice. Not necessarily going to buy in DID will check around and on pricespy also if I do buy.

Thanks in advance.

I have the Dyson v10 absolute. The price is outrageous, but it is light and very efficient. I justified the price to myself as I have a problem with my back and had difficulty using a regular vacuum cleaner.
The Hoover model you mention is listed as “don’t buy” by Which.

I have a shark cordless vacuum, for this reluctant hooverer it has been brilliant and i'm much more inclined to do it - is a bit heavy to hold but i'm not doing it for that long so it doesn't bother me - the top comes off to be a handheld & you can fold in two for easy storage should you wish. It also bends to go under beds and tricky places. I mocked the little headlights on it which come on in dark places, but actually very useful for seeing dust etc under the bed. Can't remember exactly what I paid for it but it was under €300 in a summer sale.

Bought a dyson v8 recently. Very good. Apparently there’s not a huge difference between it and the latest model in terms of performance (but there is in price!). Reviews on line seem to say the v8 is best value.

We bought a Dyson V8 and in my view they’re not really suitable as the main vacuum cleaner for a house. We needed to get a plug-in one as well. The battery doesn’t last long enough and it has degraded over time.

@Gordon Gekko Dyson will replace your battery.

Although the dyson is more expensive, in my experience the longevity and easy replacement of parts is a major benefit.

My (regular) Dyson isn't quite comparable with 'Trigger's Broom', but its still going strong after 20 years; I'm confident the 'stick' one is as good.

My dyson which I'd say must be 20 yrs old too if it's a day just gave up few days ago :( I have a dyson cordless for a good few years but while handy not a hope would it do a good enough clean as the corded one and it has a tiny little head compared to the big one and it's losing a bit of power too I would say, it's quite old as they go, have it since shortly after they came out.

Now that I have to replace the main one I might go for one of the newer cordless which are meant to be good enough to replace a corded version.

@Gordon Gekko Dyson will replace your battery.

Although the dyson is more expensive, in my experience the longevity and easy replacement of parts is a major benefit.

My (regular) Dyson isn't quite comparable with 'Trigger's Broom', but its still going strong after 20 years; I'm confident the 'stick' one is as good.

Thanks. How much do they charge? Do I just bring it back to where I bought it?

Ring the service number from Website, it was posted out to me; can't help on price sorry.

If you want to try cheap and cheerful to see if it's for you, I think Lidl have a handheld one at the moment.

We have a dyson DC59 and it's brilliant. The main vacuum (also a Dyson) only comes out on rare occasions.

I have the Dyson v10 absolute. The price is outrageous, but it is light and very efficient. I justified the price to myself as I have a problem with my back and had difficulty using a regular vacuum cleaner.
The Hoover model you mention is listed as “don’t buy” by Which.

I have an earlier model Dyson, very expensive, but I wouldn't be without it, very light and easy to use and perfect if you have any back issues.

I have a dyson V7 for the past 3 years its brilliant I have 2 long haired cats so it gets used a lot and is well capable of cleaning the whole house - mostly wooden floors. If it went in the morning it owes me nothing & I would replace with another dyson. I see this model is on offer at the moment also.

We a Dyson cordless (must check model) I hated it, would have to be emptied half way through the house and was always losing power and would have to fiddle around with it to get it working again.
Not what the OP is looking for but we got an AEG Powerforce and it is superb, you do have to buy bags which is a pain but it does a great job. Was recommended by either Which or Good Housekeeping.

I have a new Dyson v11 Absolute that was very expensive.
Mrs Romulan ordered it bought.

I have to say I was wrong and have found it brilliant.
Easier to do lots of quick hoovers as opposed to one big one dragging a Nilfisk around the house.

Battery system works fine and always enough for what is needed.

Got a free stand up charging pod with it which is also great.

I have not had a hoover argument with Mrs Romulan since I bought it.

Back