Upgrade advice wanted

back up your .pst files

What are they?

and word/excel documents with your cd writer if you got a restore cd with the pc<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>

For the the new PC, is Word 97 compatible with Word 2000?

What would the restore CD be labelled as?

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>you could get some pc-100 memory if you can find it
<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

What exactly is pc-100 and how much should I be prepared to pay for it?

as others have stated here the spec is more than adequate for anything other than playing the latest games

I don't want to play games on it. It is just so slow especially when printing when it takes forever to respond to common tasks. I also have started using Adobe Photoshop but ,again, it takes ages to do anything.

.pst files are the files that outlook uses to store your emails

if it is outlook express they are .dbx files instead

new versions of word can read all files from older versions.

a restore cd is a cd that contains an image of your machine as it was when purchased. using it will wipe your machine completely but restore all the performance that years of use has lost.

pc-100 memory is the now obsolete memory type that your system requires. somebody mentioned that the newer more common pc-133 memory might also fit. this may be the case but is not guaranteed. i tried it myself on a clients server last week and the modules were rejected

if you dont play games, you probably dont need a new machine at all.
wipe it using the aforementioned restore cd or get someone to format the harddisk and reinstall windows 98 and office etc.

dont attempt to try installing win xp as your machine is not up to it

Thanks for the replies.

What is the quickest way to back up Word files and .dbx files onto the CD-RW?

I cannot find anything that resembles a "restore CD" - Are they generically available and how much should I pay?

How is pc-100 installed? Is it available online and how much should I pay?

start-find-files or folders

in the file name box type *.doc *.rtf *.xls *.mdb *.dbx

search

ctrl+a to highlight all the files and drag them onto your cd writer icon in my computer. make sure theres a blank cd in it.

either you got a restore cd with it or you didnt. you cant buy one afterwards

if you dont have a restore cd, i think you should bring the pc somewhere and give them 100 euro or thereabouts to wipe the pc for you and install the memory wjile they are at it

pc-100 memory is the now obsolete memory type that your system requires. somebody mentioned that the newer more common pc-133 memory might also fit. this may be the case but is not guaranteed. i tried it myself on a clients server last week and the modules were rejected

There are different types of PC-100/133 memory (e.g 3V/3.3V/5V and unbuffered/buffered etc.) so you have to choose the appropriate kind. 3.3V unbuffered is common enough and PC-133 DIMMs of this sort will often work (but maybe not always!) on PC-100 only motherboards. For more on particular memory components the Kingston memory search is useful. For some sample prices on PC-100/133 memory see [broken link removed] or another local or online supplier.

I have been looking on ebay and there are some relatively cheap motherboards and processors available.
For a self-confessed luddite, is it straightforward to identify the types required and then fit the components?

I think buying a new computer is waste of money.
I'm about to upgrade from a PIII which has all of the following which don't need upgrading...
- 17" Monitor
- Optic Mouse
- 160GB HD
- Keyboard
- PC Case
- DVD burner
- DVD drive
- Floppy disk drive
- Speakers
- Audio Card

All I need is therefore a motherboard, processor, memory and graphics card.
I can get the first 3 from...
www.savastore.com/product...ards/kits/
for £200
and a 128MB graphics card from ebay for under £50.

Back