UPC for Phone + Broadband

I have UPC for phone/broadband and TV.

WE pay for 50MB Broadband and the speed is approx. 43-45MB every time I test it.
We very rarely have a problem with streaming or the broadband connection not being available.

Our wifi is good quality, even in the attic, BUT we don't have horizon. I am refusing to "upgrade" to horizon because of the brutal wifi service.

They were required by law to remove the charge. Instead you now get a €3.75/month "discount" if you pay by DD. :rolleyes:

I understood the charge was wiped if you just register on their website. My mother does not pay by D.D. and because I registered her she is not charged the €3.75 which she did pay previous to the registration

I don't really understand what you are saying. Will I have to wait until 13 November before I can get efibre? The fella in Eircom told me it was starting on 15 October, I could ring then and get a technician out to the house for 22 October.

Thanks for the heads up but you're the man that told a kid that Santa isn't coming until mid January. ;)
No, I'm just saying the appointment date cannot be confirmed until the cabinet is launched on October 15th.

... I am refusing to "upgrade" to horizon because of the brutal wifi service.

I have the horizon but I ordered with a separate router. That said the separate router the TC7200 is quite poor also, so I have my own WiFi router connected to it instead.

So instead of one neat box I've ended up with 3 to get get have decent WiFi.

When I use powerline adapters I get 70~90.

Well Ive finally gone and done it.UPC engineer is comming out on Saturday to hook us up.
37 euro per month for a year for 60mb BB and home phone.I get 3 euro 50 cents off that as a discount,so it will be 33 euro 50 cents a month.
And the UPC chap is giving us the 1st 2 months for half price.

I gave Eircom a few more months to sort us out and they have failed to do so.So its bye bye to Eircom and all their excuses...........(thank the lord).:)

Eircom are demanding 197 euro of a cancelation fee off me for leaving to go to UPC.

I dont think I should have to pay this due to the shoddy phone line and BB speed I have had to put up with.I had a fault with my phone that I reported over a week ago and they said they fixed it,what they did do was make it 10 times worse and my BB speed dropped to a pittyfull 3mb and a shocking bad phone line aswell.I have done several tests via Eircom speed test and taken photos of the results,Ive also logged the calls Ive made to them and taken note of their excuses.
I kicked up a stink over the problem still not being resolved and they still have not fixed it.Just more excuses yet again.

They now say that if I dont accept this cancelation fee then they wont disconnect me and they will keep on billing me each month that goes by.

Can they not not just send me a final bill and let me take them on via ComReg over the cancelation fee??

Can they legaly keep me connected in this manner??

Do I have any rights here??

UPC chap arrived yesterday afternoon and was gone within an hour.We now have 60mb bb and a new phone number too.
Well happy with the bb speed and my android IPTV box is super fast now.No buffering on any of the TV channels or movies we were watching last night or today.I should have switched over from Eircom ages ago,but Im well happy now that I have finally switched.:D

Eircom are demanding 197 euro of a cancelation fee off me for leaving to go to UPC.

I dont think I should have to pay this due to the shoddy phone line and BB speed I have had to put up with.

How long have you had the service, and when did you first report the issue?

They now say that if I dont accept this cancelation fee then they wont disconnect me and they will keep on billing me each month that goes by.

Can they not not just send me a final bill and let me take them on via ComReg over the cancelation fee??

Can they legaly keep me connected in this manner??

Do I have any rights here??

The answers to the previous questions will guide here. How long was left in your contract period, and what do the t&cs say about cancellation? Read through them and make sure you put the cancellation notice in writing. If you satisfy their requirements on cancellation, then it's unlikely they can keep billing.

If they have consistently failed to deliver on the contract, then you've a good case so long as you have maintained a history of all communications.

If I could add my 2 cents worth to this thread and to update the thread please

As you all have read,I moved from Eircom to UPC late last year.Reason being I had enough of Eircom false prommises and lies about getting E-Fibre.

Eircom wanted a cancelation fee of just on 200 euro from me for breaking my contract.
I told them during at least 3 seperate phone calls to them that I never signed any contract and that I was never given any actual terms and conditions with my original Eircom pack in the post.

The Eircom lad tried his best to TELL ME and I MUST PAY the cancelation fee to leave.

Long story short I told him that he had to show me an actual written contract as a verbal contract over the phone is not a legal contract.

Result was that Eircom suddenly "waived" the 200 euro cancelation fee and I said GOODBYE to Eircom there and then on the phone.

Best decision I ever made.:D:D

I don't think you are correct.

It is always easier to know what your rights and responsibilities are if you have details of the contract in writing, however, a verbal contract is also enforceable.

[broken link removed]

I don't think you are correct.

[broken link removed]

I never agreed to any contract,I never said YES when asked,as I was not asked in the 1st place.
I wasnt even told of the specific terms and conditions.

So there was no contract,verbal or written.;)

Contracts may differ in many ways and there are no hard and fast rules governing what terms should be in a consumer contract.[broken link removed].

Eircom couldnt prove to me that a contract existed so they couldnt persist with demanding that I pay the cancelation fee.I called their bluff and they folded.People power can win over if you persist with it.:D

Regardless it still doesn't mean verbal contacts are not enforceable. They are just hard to prove.

UPC have similar cancellation fee. They claim to record the call though. You need a FOI to get access to it.

Certainly be the squeaky wheel. They often won't bother pursuing it. Especially if you've left a trail of complaints about the service that you didn't get.

Verbal contracts are perfectly valid. It's always worth pursuing though, as the vendor may not be able to locate the recording of your acceptance of the contract.

Back