Unpaid stamps query

Fourteen

I recently had my contributory pension reassessed under the new Home Caring scheme and I am not being allowed two years when I worked as a full-time permanent teacher back in the early 1970s before I had my children. Apparently, the stamps were never paid so I'm now receiving a reduced pension as a result.

Do I have any hope of arguing my case that I was unaware that the school didn't pay my stamps? The principal is long dead although the school still exists. I have no records from way back then to clarify the situation but I presume the Dept., of Ed. has a record of my employment, even though it's almost 50 years ago?

Any advice as to whether it's worth pursuing it further with Welfare?

If you were in a state school surely the department of education have a record and have paid “stamps” but people in the public service paid at a different rate and may not qualify for inclusion in contributory pension requirements.

My wife recently contacted the Dept of Social Welfare to get a printout of her stamps paid, going back to the mid 1960's. She worked for different employers at that time over a period of 7 years. Two were small businesses.
She was amazed to get a record of all her stamps paid from every employer during that time.
There is a record somewhere of your stamps paid. I would pursue this matter all the way if I were you.

It seems likely that the stamps were of a class that does not count towards the contributory state pension. From the information at the link below, it seems like the stamps may have been class D and these wouldn't be taken into account for the state contributory pension. Of course this is different to the stamps just not being paid, but perhaps it is the case.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e..._insurance_prsi/social_insurance_classes.html

Last edited:
If the two years as a Teacher were as a public/civil servant then you will have paid the “modified PRSI” .
Such contributions- Class B or D - do not qualify for the State Retirement Pension. Class A - private sector- are the main qualifying stamps for the State Pension.

Thanks to all who replied.

It's complicated by the fact that it was in the very early 70s before PRSI was introduced and we had the old stamp books. I'm not sure the reduced stamp applied back then. I'll follow it up anyway.

Back