Unmarried fathers claiming tax relief on maintenance payments for children

• Thread starter Holiday2006
  • Start date
can i just clarify One Parent Family tax credit states a couple can not claim if they are living as husband and wife on revenue site ...is this the same as co-habiting yet unmarried ?

i presumed so however, an above post has confused me.
my understanding was an married co-habiting couple could not have one of them claiming a one parent family allowance

yes i too found out about this a few years ago,, it was not very common knowledge then,, remember a few work mates were ignorant of it too,, we all claimed for the singke parent and it was back dated,, got some nice cheques..

as soon as i moved in with some one then i lost it,, as once you co habit , your not entitled.

i expect there is still a lot of single fathers out there, that do not know they are entitled to it..

can i just clarify One Parent Family tax credit states a couple can not claim if they are living as husband and wife on revenue site ...is this the same as co-habiting yet unmarried ?

i presumed so however, an above post has confused me.
my understanding was an married co-habiting couple could not have one of them claiming a one parent family allowance

"living as husband and wife" is just a prudish way of saying living together in a sexual relationship.

So, a couple who are living together in a sexual relationship are not entitled to claim. A "couple" e.g. a brother & sister or a mother & daughter who are living under the same roof, but obviously not in a sexual relationship can claim.

Hi I'm also curious about this as friend of mine has sent off their form to be backdated for last two years and is wondering how long it takes for it all to be sorted and for cheque to be issued?
He meets with all the criteria so shouldnt be a problem but I reckon it will take months before it gets sorted as is usually the case when they're having to give money out rather than taking it!
Thanks

Ok... I have read the posts and to be honest... I have gotten a bit lost with it all...
As a single parent who’s child says at the weekend..... And I pay maintenance... Were or how do I claim is it tax back or tax credits or what exactly is it..???

If you are a single parent and the child resides with you at least one night per year then you are entitled to a single-parent tax credit which is basically worth €1,830 to you (assuming you pay at least €1,830 in PAYE)

Here is a link to Revenue website detailing same and also the form OP1 which you should complete and forward to your revenue office

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it9.html

I have a friend that didn't know about this tax relief either,

How far back can you claim and whats the rough amount per year. He is not married.

I know couples, living to-gether, claiming living apart and getting this tax credit (35euro each a week). Some boost to income!! Its a disgrace, don't know any married couples getting it, only co-habits (poor dads still living at home with mammy! Yeah, right!) This credit should be scrapped, would love to know how much its costing the state. Should'nt all couples whether to-gether of apart get the same entitlement to credits. I am married so don't get any extra credits for having to pay for childcare. Its not worth staying at home for home carers credit (900euro)! Not as much as (1830euro x 2 ) if I split up with hubby! Only joking, would'nt split up just to get an extra 70euro a week, but is tempting!!

hi would a person with his own small business be entilted to tax credits on his 3 children? i aint got a clue about it... im just wondering if my ex is actually getting it all along as we do not talk...

Not sure what you mean here dixie

Every single parent (as described above) is entitled to the lone parent credit, irrespective of whether they are self-employed or an employee

I have a friend that didn't know about this tax relief either,

How far back can you claim and whats the rough amount per year. He is not married.

See previous post in this thread :-

If you are a single parent and the child resides with you at least one night per year then you are entitled to a single-parent tax credit which is basically worth €1,830 to you (assuming you pay at least €1,830 in PAYE)

Here is a link to Revenue website detailing same and also the form OP1 which you should complete and forward to your revenue office

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it9.html

Back