Unknown unsecured debt to Start Mortgages

Karl90909090

I had a house with a partner and our relationship ended.

We both left the house, and defaulted on the mortgage in 2008.

I moved to the UK.

The house was repossessed in 2018.

Start Mortgages took over the debt.

The house was sold in 2019.

I don't know anything about my ex partner any more. They may have gone through bankruptcy at some point.

So there is unsecured debt either jointly owed, or if they went bankrupt, owed by me alone.

I have received no contact from Start since 2018 (at which time they were unable to give me an account update)

Would any shortfall in the mortgage debt still be accruing interest?
Is there any reason not to contact Start to get information about the debt?
Is there any possibility of the shortfall being written off?
I read about a 7 year debt write-off here in the UK, if the creditor does not make contact, but I don't think this applies in Ireland.
After Brexit, I am unsure if bankruptcy in the UK will protect me from the debt.
I have no assets or savings and I earn under £20k a year.

I do understand that the situation was badly managed from the outset.

Would any shortfall in the mortgage debt still be accruing interest? Yes
Is there any reason not to contact Start to get information about the debt? if you want 100% resolution you need to contact them
Is there any possibility of the shortfall being written off? Only by making a honest transparent disclosure
I read about a 7 year debt write-off here in the UK, if the creditor does not make contact, but I don't think this applies in Ireland. If your Centre of Main Interest is in the UK then you could do an IVA there or go bankrupt there.
After Brexit, I am unsure if bankruptcy in the UK will protect me from the debt. To a certain degree: It is more difficult to enforce Irish judgements in the UK
I have no assets or savings and I earn under £20k a year. I believe Start would a pragmatic approach with you. However, they might insist that your ex-partner engages in the process.

Jim Stafford

A more pragmatic question - if you live in the UK, haven't heard from Start Mortgages in three years and don't have anyone chasing you for money, why do you raise the issue now?

Back