Unit price increases for gas & electricity & how they add up...?

Dinarius

I had let both my gas and electricity suppliers drift out of fixed-price contracts and hadn't bothered to check on how they now compared with other suppliers, until two weeks ago.

Suffice to say, I have left both of them for one year contracts with cheaper suppliers.

I have just received my final gas bill from my old supplier.

They had price increases in both September and November. The unit price went from 6.547 to 7.725 to 9.734.

My second last bill had 395 x 6.547 and 922 x 7.725. My last bill (done from a reading I submitted on the changeover day) has 1336 x 7.725 and 573 x 9.734.

I'd like to know the following.....

How do they calculate how many units I used at the new rate within a given billing period?

I phoned them today and they had no idea how they calculated this. They are to phone me back.

If they assume that usage is the same each day (not unreasonable) then simply charging pro-rata over the billing period would be reasonable. We'll see.

Thanks.

D.

Anytime my supplier (Bord Gaís) has a price increase, the units used were split prorata to the number of days before and after the price rise.

It should be easy to check you know the period the billed you for and the number o days. You know the date of the price rise so using a calculator it should be simple to validate what they did

Other suppliers may differ, of course

Back