uninstalling gas fire

Concert

During this very cold weather we are finding it impossible to heat our open plan living area despite the fact that the gas fire is on from five in evening and heating the same at very high setting.

I asked out local fireplace about reverting to solid fuel and he said it would cost us around 1200 euros to do this.

I think this price is very high to make a fireplace suitable for sold fuel. Any comments welcome

During this very cold weather we are finding it impossible to heat our open plan living area despite the fact that the gas fire is on from five in evening and heating the same at very high setting.

I asked out local fireplace about reverting to solid fuel and he said it would cost us around 1200 euros to do this.

I think this price is very high to make a fireplace suitable for sold fuel. Any comments welcome

In my own house, i cant put a solid fuel fire in because of what seems to be 2 reasons.

1. The fireplace seems to be designed for a gas fire.

2. the chimney seems to have been finished differently to take a gas fire rather than solid fuel fire.

How do i know this? Because like you, feeling the cold i lit a fire in it anyway!! THe smoke doesnt go up the chimney proberly and the room got a bit smokey, if the fire had been big i'm sure i would have smoked the whole room out!! Also grate was different from a normal grate and i dont think it lended itself well to a solid fuel fire, as the fire never really took off, just kind of burnt itself out,,

So to answer the original question, after my experience over the last couple of days, i'd say 1200 wouldnt be a bad price if it was my house, to get it sorted..

Back