Unemployment benefits for someone starting college.

M

m87

hello all. I was recently fired from my job on a golfcourse after working there for a little under 12 months (this did include some breaks but my P45 has my start date as 27-06-05 and my finish date as 16/06/06).

I'm still living at home and starting college in September/ October but was relying on work to provide me with money for the upkeep of my car (which i need for college) i had also been planning to live on campus but now, won't be.

i've been having trouble finding a new job and even though I know its doubtful was wondering if I'm entitled to any kind of social welfare benefit.

Thanks.

You wouldn't be entitled to unemployment benefit, but have you checked if you're eligible for a grant? And if you're a mature student, i think there are some benfits available under back to education schemes. oasis.gov might be a good place to start.

i've checked the grant, not eligible....i had filled out a form on the internet and sent it away regarding unemployment benefit and i got a call this morning asking me to come in in the next 3 days with P45 etc.- is there any point in even going since i'm not entitled?

Well you may be entitled to some money between now & when you start college, so you should certainly go.

Go in anyway. If you are not entitled to Unemployment benefit you may be entitled to Unemployment assistance, which is means tested.

Back