Unemployment Benefit - Am I entitled

C

carolinemurp

Hi - I have handed in my notice in work and am due to leave on Sept 1st. Am I immediately entitled to unemployment Benefit? Though I am leaving voluntarily it is due to the fact that I am not coping due to bereavement of a child. I am a lone parent and have worked without break in employment for over 10 years. Can anyone tell me if there are special circumstances in which the social welfare will consider claims immediately?

Sorry to hear about your tragic situation. Have you checked the UB qualification rules? Leaving employment voluntarily may result in UA/UB payments being deferred by up to 9 weeks. If you will not be genuinely available for and seeking work then you do not meet one of the key qualifying conditions. I don't mean to be insensitive but I'm not clear on why the bereavement means that you need to give up work. If this is due to medical (including psychological) reasons then you might qualify for illness/disablement related Welfare schemes if you are disgnosed as unfit for work etc.

Thank you for your response. I have been experiencing bouts of depression - my job can be very stressful. My son used to work summers with my company and I was actually in work when I received the news. Although my doctor probably would certify me for disability payments I think this might lead to longterm problems. I would hate to isolate myself. I believe I am capable of full time work and have in fact applied for a different position but I am a little apprehensive that I wouldn't be employed by the time I leave my current position.

If you are actually suffering from depression (possibly reactive to the bereavement) then you really need to do whatever it takes to address that situation. In many cases this can mean a two pronged approach of suitable medication and counselling but you should be guided by your GP and other appropriate health professionals on what's best for your specific situation. If as a result of this you need to be certified as unfit for work for the benefit of your health and well being then so be it. I'm not sure what sort of long term problems you have in mind in this context. Perhaps you can explain? I am aware that this can have repercussions later on in relation to getting certain insurance cover etc. but don't forget that depression and related illnesses are quite commonplace (even if not diagnosed and treated as often as they possibly should be) so you are not alone in dealing with this. Obviously there are support agencies that can help too.

Thanks again. Initially I was on medication and am about to start a course on learning how to cope with depression and how to spot the early signs. I have a very supportive GP. I've also been regularly attending a councellor (provided by my current employer). My long term fear is that if I don't stay in employment it would be more difficult to get back to work later. It's sometimes the only thing that keeps me sane! I just believe I need a fresh start where I don't have to endure the sympathetic looks etc.

Good to hear that you are taking very constructive steps to dealing with your situation. Not sure what sort of course you are doing but you might be interested in checking out CBT. One peoblem with depression is that sufferers can make drastic decisions without thinking through the implications logically/objectively. If you do decide that you need a change of work environment/pace etc. then normally (even in the absence of depression) it would be best to stick with your current job until you find something else. However if the job is objectively exacerbating your situation then maybe it is time to bite the bullet. But you should be sure that this is the case and, if necessary, ask others (family, friends, counsellor etc.) for their opinion just in case you are not looking at the situation clearly yourself.

Apologies for dragging the thread a little off topic from the original specific query but hopefully some of my comments are of use to you and/or others...

Thanks for the link. This is something I've thought over long and hard and have discussed it with both family and work. All have been very supportive and most agree that since I've made the decision I have been a lot more at ease. I have been warned not to make sudden decisions by my councellor and so the notice I handed in was two months. My company has also said that they would take back this notice if I wanted. I've only started looking for new employment now and this is just a little panic attack in case I don't find anything in time. You have been very helpful though :)

Back