Unemployment Benefit after Maternity and disability?

Jister

If a person goes on maternity leave and then claims disability benefit for approx. 16 months and is now available for work but are currently unemployed are they entitled to claim unemployment benefit?

They would have worked fulltime for about 12 years prior to going on maternity leave.

Thanks, but I don't get this bit:

To qualify, you must have:
  • 39 weeks PRSI paid since starting work and
  • 39 weeks PRSI paid or credited in the relevant tax year or
  • 26 weeks PRSI in the Relevant Tax Year and
  • 26 weeks PRSI paid in the tax Year prior to the Relevant tax year
The Relevant Tax Year for a claim is the second last complete tax year before the start of the Benefit Year. (The Benefit Year starts on the first Monday in January).

If the person was on maternity leave followed by disability for nearly 2 years they won't have paid any stamps surely?

Do you get credits when out on maternity and disability benefit?

Jister said:
If the person was on maternity leave followed by disability for nearly 2 years they won't have paid any stamps surely?
Probably not. They could have paid voluntary contributions but these don't provide MB cover.
Do you get credits when out on maternity and disability benefit?
Not sure. I think that you can get PRSI credits under certain payment schemes or the Homemaker's Scheme but I don't know the details.

Probably easiest to ring Letterkenny (1890 400 400, Ext: 4480) and ask about your PRSI records and entitlement to benefits.

You haven't clarified the details of your sitaution and current benefits as per my first post.

Back