'Undoing' car modifications

Caveat

Hi

Will be looking at 3 dr, slightly sporty hatch soon. (under 5K) Problem is, I want a completely unadulterated car but my preference would be for a 97-00 1.5 vtec Civic - which as we all know attract modifiers.

Instead of ignoring those that have been modified (which make up a good few of them) should I still consider them with a view to undoing the modifications? Is this advisable/economical/easy to do?

I suppose the most common changes are lowered suspension (shouldn't be difficult?) and induction kits - but if there is anything else anyone can think of (especially if they would load the insurance) that could be easily rectified or reverted to original state, please let me know.

Thanks

Depends on the mods. Most in Ireland consist of attaching a bus to the back of the car as a spoiler and maybe a dodgy body kit. Should be easy to revert these kinda mods.

However if they've added nitro turbo then it becomes more difficult. I think I'm right in saying that most mods are relatively easy to reverse though...other than them sticking a V6 under the bonnet :)

Just make sure you get rid of those dodgy under car lighting effects as well!!!

The one thing I'd be wary of with modded cars is it increases the likelihood that it's had the utter sh*te driven out of it!! But then it's an old Honda so that's unlikely to adversely affect it too much.

Just make sure you get rid of those dodgy under car lighting effects as well!!!

:D Don't worry - my Civic will have alloys - and that's it.

Bit worried about cost though - induction kits sound like they might be a bit of a job to remove? I don't know...

A modded car is likely to have been driven hard. I wouldn't buy one.

Could prove to be an expensive exercise.If the car has an induction kit for example,you'll need to obtain the original air filter housing and the connecting trunking.You could be lucky and the seller might have kept the original parts.....a long shot!! If they've butchered the suspension you'll need 4xsprings because the usual method of lowering in Ireland is by angle grinder and chopping coils off the springs!!!!! Keep trawling the adverts and try to find the most original car you can afford.Spend a few bob on a decent alarm/immobiliser too.These cars are always being nicked.

Ok Thanks

I would be getting any car independently inspected anyway - so should be aware of any problems.

RS2K what are likely to be problems that might go undetected in a car like this? e.g. if car has FSH and am also getting checked - should I still be wary? What sort of things are you thinking about shocks? gearbox? or do you just mean general wear & tear on everything? I'm sure a lot of these are driven hard, sounds like a contradiction I know, but a lot of these guys also take good care of their cars - when they slow down long enough to do so?

Caff, seriously had no idea that springs were actually cut! I honestly thought it was just an adjustment - so lowered is definitely out then...

Last edited:
The minority of springs are cut. The majority are replaced by lowered springs. But some of them are not great quality and more than always lead to premature failure in the shocks. These will need replacing too.

some "wise" car enthusiasts will replace springs and shocks when lowering a car.

It would also be pretty easy to "un-mod" a Honda Civic as long as it wasnt butchered in the process of modification..

If you need any more help just drop me a Pm..

Ok Thanks

I would be getting any car independently inspected anyway - so should be aware of any problems.

RS2K what are likely to be problems that might go undetected in a car like this? e.g. if car has FSH and am also getting checked - should I still be wary? What sort of things are you thinking about shocks? gearbox? or do you just mean general wear & tear on everything? I'm sure a lot of these are driven hard, sounds like a contradiction I know, but a lot of these guys also take good care of their cars - when they slow down long enough to do so?

Caff, seriously had no idea that springs were actually cut! I honestly thought it was just an adjustment - so lowered is definitely out then...

If the car checks out it's likely be ok, for now.

A hard life will mean that all of the major parts, engine, gearbox, suspension, brakes & steering will all have been worked much harder than a "normal" cars.

I realise it's a generalisation, but it's why I wouldn't go near a used modified car.

Why not simply buy a standard one?

Hi

Would you not look to the uk for a civic. It would probably be easier to find a clean unmodified car.

Why not simply buy a standard one?

This would be my preference of course but I didn't want to completely rule out all modifieds and narrow my searches unnecessarily - if the mods were easy/cheap to undo.

I'm thinking UK (NI) might be a better option pricewise (even with VRT) but mods are just as likely. Don't really want the hassle of mainland UK importing.

1 or 2 in carzone look alright Gabriel - but again, mods and autos rule out most on this occasion - but thanks.

Would love a 1.5 Vtec but might have to rethink for a similar but less 'mod attractive' car.

Last edited:
I would definitely not recommend undoing a modified car. I got the spoiler and skirt removed from a car I bought and was plagued with the indentations reappearing after the job had "settled". And that was from a recognised body shop.

Have to agree with Goggin; Its not worth the heart ache. I know as I add modifications to my jeep. I find my own way of attaching things and tightening joints etc. There's nothing worse than trying to un do some one else's work!

I hadn't even worried about cosmetic mods - just assumed that would be easy to change but obviously not.

Ok, thanks all - it looks like I'll have to go for for a clean, original completely unmodified version then as I certainly don't want to cause any damage or incur much cost in reverting the car.

Won't be buying for a while yet but back to the car sites to browse anyway...

Back