Understanding CGT

casiopea

Hi,

Im currently reading and trying to understand the revenue's guide to capital gains tax.

(http://www.revenue.ie/leaflets/cgt1.pdf )

According to this document I am an "Ordinary Resident" from a tax perspective and I shall be until next September when I fall under Domincile (I think) as I reside in Switzerland.

Im hoping to sell my house, here in Dublin, early 2006 and I have a couple of CGT that Im having trouble understanding from this document.
1) If I sell and dont reinvest the money for sometime into another property (say more than 6 months) am I likely to incurr even higher CGT than if it were immediately to go into another property? (The money will be used as a house deposit but the buying process in switzerland is much much slower so it could be a while before it is used).
2) does my tax liability change when I go from ordinary resident to domicile?

thanks in advance
casiopea

1. Rollover relief was abolished a few years ago. So if CGT is due it's due regardless if you reinvest or not

2. Your house is a "specified asset", as such it is liable to CGT. It doesn't matter where you are resident, domiciled etc.

Obviously principal private residence relief should be applied if applicable

If you were born in Ireland - you dont state that - and if you were by having a house in Ireland, it is unlikely that your domicile has changed.

Back