Underfloor Heating.

Markove

Hello. I have just moved into a rented apartment - constructed circa 2000 - with this system installed. I don't have the first notion how to get it working properly, if the system is in working order, that is. Worryingly, the landlord has free standing electric heaters in every room! Is it similar in operation to a conventional storage heating system? The letting agent I dealt with assured me it works alright, just slow to heat up. Stone cold so far, no matter how I fiddle around with the controls. Can you attach photos on this site? I would upload a picture of the control box if I could.

We have underfloor downstairs and find it brilliant. Do you have stats on the walls and are they set high enough

There is a control panel incorporated into the fuse box with individual temperature controls for each room + and -. I have these set at max. temp.

I would have thought low temp settings but left on for long periods of time. After all, you're heating up the floor which will then release and warm the air above it. If all this is being done electronically in an apartment setting it could work out very expensive going on what I know of apartment builds and insulation quality.

Ours takes 24 hrs to build up the heat. Are there no stats in the rooms though to measure the temperature in the room. I would have thought there needs to be and this feeds back to the control panel. We simply set the rooms to 21 degrees and have the heating on for 2 hrs in morning ( 6-8 ) and then again in the evening ( 5.30 -8) in warm weather if the room are 21 degrees anyway the underfloor doesn't come on even if it set to come on

Would need a lot more information before being able to make any guess.

1. What make is it? What name is on the controls.
2. What did the landlord say when/if you asked why they have put a load of freestanding heaters in the rooms. That's a red-flag to me.
3. I don't think you can put pictures on here, but you can put them up on a shared site and link to here.

Hager is the name on the fuse board in which the controls are located. There is also the name Bodenschutz printed in red lettering on what appears to be the main fuse. When switched on there are two rows of small green lights as well as a red light blinking in the top right hand corner. In each room there is located a switch to turn on or off if required. That all sounds, very convoluted, I know. I will try to get a photograph up.

Ours takes 24 hrs to build up the heat. Are there no stats in the rooms though to measure the temperature in the room. I would have thought there needs to be and this feeds back to the control panel. We simply set the rooms to 21 degrees and have the heating on for 2 hrs in morning ( 6-8 ) and then again in the evening ( 5.30 -8) in warm weather if the room are 21 degrees anyway the underfloor doesn't come on even if it set to come on
There are switches in each of the rooms to turn on the heat. They are not temperature sensing.

Hi Markove,
OK, we're getting somewhere. Hager is the manufacturer of the fuzebox. Bodenschutz is German for (among other things) Underfloor heating. So, we don't have a manufacturer yet, but it's a start.

I would guess (and it is only a guess, I am more familiar with water based underfloor heating).
When you turn the heating on at the fuzebox, the green lights are showing that each circuit, i.e. each room, is live and working. Do the number of green lights correspond to either the number of rooms, or number of switches?
The flashing red light might mean that the heating is active, or not, of there's a fault.
I am also guessing that there has to be a thermostat somewhere. Not necessarily one for each room, but I am guessing there has to be at least one. Otherwise, how else does the heating know to turn off?
It is possible that the electrical heating uses resistance, or a thermostat built into the floor to know when it's up to temp, but it sounds excessively complex.

I think we still need either a picture or the manufacturer to investigate further.

So
1. Can you find a thermostat anywhere in the house
2. A picture of the controls
3. The manufacturers name
4. As a suggestion, knock on one of your neighbors doors and ask them if they know how the underfloor heating works.

Hi Markove,
OK, we're getting somewhere. Hager is the manufacturer of the fuzebox. Bodenschutz is German for (among other things) Underfloor heating. So, we don't have a manufacturer yet, but it's a start.

I would guess (and it is only a guess, I am more familiar with water based underfloor heating).
When you turn the heating on at the fuzebox, the green lights are showing that each circuit, i.e. each room, is live and working. Do the number of green lights correspond to either the number of rooms, or number of switches?
The flashing red light might mean that the heating is active, or not, of there's a fault.
I am also guessing that there has to be a thermostat somewhere. Not necessarily one for each room, but I am guessing there has to be at least one. Otherwise, how else does the heating know to turn off?
It is possible that the electrical heating uses resistance, or a thermostat built into the floor to know when it's up to temp, but it sounds excessively complex.

I think we still need either a picture or the manufacturer to investigate further.

So
1. Can you find a thermostat anywhere in the house
2. A picture of the controls
3. The manufacturers name
4. As a suggestion, knock on one of your neighbors doors and ask them if they know how the underfloor heating works.
Yes, three of four green lights are illuminated. The fourth is flashing green/red. It's a fairly draughty dwelling and in the coldest spots - two of the three bedrooms in which the windows are old and not efficient and also the hallway near the front door - there is no heat at all. The wall mounted switches in these rooms do come on briefly when the system is switched on but click off again after a few minutes. Again, I am sorry for the absence of photographs.

Hi Markove,
when you say that the wall mounted switches "come on briefly but click off again" what do you mean exactly. I assumed they were switches, like light switches. But if they come on and off, they may be thermostats. Do they have a light/display/settings? Please describe them a bit further.

a couple of pictures and the model and/or name of the devices would help too

Hi Markove,
when you say that the wall mounted switches "come on briefly but click off again" what do you mean exactly. I assumed they were switches, like light switches. But if they come on and off, they may be thermostats. Do they have a light/display/settings? Please describe them a bit further.
Yes, they are just like light switches, unmarked with red lights which illuminate. They are not thermostats though, just used to switch the heat on or off in each room as required. The thermostats are built into the floors are they not? I think the problem is related to draughts rather than a fault with the system. The windows in the bedrooms as well as the hall door are ineffective at keeping out draughts and these are the areas of the apartment which are coldest and where there is no heat at all being generated. So, if the ambient temperature is well below a certain level the thermostat will not operate, I presume. I have tried every possible adjustment of the temperature controls but to no avail.

Back