Under payment?

A

alee

Just recieved notice of assessment for the tax year of 2005, it says I've underpaid by aprox 2K!!

I married in 2005, never before have I owed money after a tax return, could the fact that I married make me due to pay more tax??

Also put same details into teh [broken link removed] tax caculator and was owed a refund

Hi Alee,

Did you receive the correct Tax credits? i.e if your self employed you shouldn't receive the PAYE credit, Single personal credit if your singly assessed?

Jockey

Just recieved notice of assessment for the tax year of 2005, it says I've underpaid by aprox 2K!!

I married in 2005, never before have I owed money after a tax return, could the fact that I married make me due to pay more tax??
Did you get a P21 balancing statement which should outline the specific calculations?

Also put same details into teh [broken link removed] tax caculator and was owed a refund
Without a P21 can you be sure they were the same details entered?

Could some of your credits have been assigned to your other half following the wedding?

If you feel you should be getting a refund rather than having underpaid you should investigate it fully and consider seeking professional advise. Just because Revenue believe you underpaid by €2k doesn't mean that you did.

Yep, hadn't got correct tax credits... Revenue to resend assessment..

Thanks for the advice!

Yep, hadn't got correct tax credits... Revenue to resend assessment..
Not a bad idea to get into the habit of requesting a P21 following each tax year to make sure everything is up to date (and stop any future scares like this!).

Most years you'll be taking a good look through your new tax credits at the beginning of the year (often havign to clear up any errors), so an ideal chance to ask for your P21 to confirm all is fine for the previous year.

Not a bad idea to get into the habit of requesting a P21 following each tax year to make sure everything is up to date (and stop any future scares like this!).
Yep - I totally agree. Especially (as documented elsewhere) when I was pretty sure that I was on top of our tax affairs over the past few years only to receive a €3K refund in respect of two recent years once I requested a P21!

Back