Home Unable to get House Insurance not the owner

primrose

Hi Hoping somebody might be able to assist me. My father died recently and he did not have house insurance. I the exceutor of his estate am trying to get cover until the house is sold. Each of my siblings have a vested interest in the estate. I am willing to live in the house until it is sold however because the house is currently not owned in name by someone in particular all insurance companies that I have contacted are refusing to cover even for basic cover plus public liability. Can anyone advise what should I do in the interim or if they know of a company that would insure under these circumstances.

In order to insure a house, you must have an insurable interest; that, in effect, means that you must have the rights of an owner. The executor of a will has those rights, but the position might be unclear in the interregnum between the date of death and the grant of probate.

Insurance companies generally do not like covering vacant properties, and that can be a further complication. There might be a presumption that the property is vacant unless you make it clear that you are occupying it.

I suggest that you fill in a proposal in your capacity as "Primrose as Executor of the will of ..." and state that you will be living in the house.

Thank you for getting back regarding this Padraigb.

I will be going about probate early next week and hopefully will approach the insurance companies again.
Hopefully I will get insurance.
Myself and the kids will be moving into the property with my husband remaining in our home to fulfill both insurance policies terms and conditions.
Its just a bit of a mess right now. I appreciate your advice

Back