Unable to find files that I know are on my computer

ACA

Somehow I have altered the search parameters on my computer. I use my computer mainly for work and used to be able to enter someones name and every word document that I had with that name in it would pop up. Not any more!

I have gone into the Control panel and tried altering the indexing options to see if that helps....it doesn't. I have restored all defaults I can find but still can't get the computer to search in the manner I want/need.

Has anyone any suggestions on how to correct this? I have gone on to Microsoft on-line help and support, used their advice and that isn't alleviating the problem.

Last edited:
Do:
Start -> Search -> For Files and Folders
and on the left hand side you should see an option to click into called Change Preferences - check in there

window search has issues when searching for text in a file. e.g. create a folder called test

create a file called 1.txt, put the word "search" in it,
copy the file and rename the copy to 1.sql
search for files with the word "search" in it just in that folder, and only 1.txt will be found, narrow the search to only search within files called 1.sql and it still doesnt find it but will find the file if you search 1.sql but not containing text.

Im afraid I have no answer to this and have previously searched.

I have tried Windows Search on XP and wasn't that impressed. The basic Windows Explorer search is practically useless. I'd stick with Google or Copernic desktop searches (free for personal use) instead myself.

Mythicsoft File Locator Pro is an excellent program, which I use heavily every day of the week. I would highly recommend it as a substitute for the Windows and Google search programs.

I have used Photorescue to retrieve lost/deleted files from my pc.

Thanx for the replies - still really confused! Bit of a blind spot when it comes to computers!!

What OS are you using?
Operating System?? Windows Vista - is that right?

Clubman and ubiquitous, I thought that Google etc were internet search engines? As I say bit of a computer virgin so I'm probably wrong!

I save reports under claim references eg: 12345 initial jul, but I could previously click on the little microsoft flag and type in Murphy for instance and the computer would pull up everything with Murphy in the title or in the body of the document - emails, word docs, excel docs everything. For some unknown reason its not doing this anymore...haven't got a clue why. I'm in the process of rebuilding my index....fingers crossed that this fixes the problem.....if not I'm going to go crying to PC World! lol

Clubman and ubiquitous, I thought that Google etc were internet search engines? As I say bit of a computer virgin so I'm probably wrong!
I said Google Desktop Search. Google it and reviews of it.

If you go in to Start > Search, type in what you're looking for and when it starts searching you then have the option to go in to Search Tools > Search Options. You can choose to search file names and contents from there.

If you mean the default Windows XP search then don't bank on that finding things. In my experience it's very hit and miss.

thanx a mill for the replies. had a go at google desktop - couldn't access what I wanted so I'm having a go Gizmo Richards...thanx Clubman, yr a star

Back