Umemployment benefit

C

Colleen

Hi.

I am currently working and due to childcare problems whereby my current childminder will no longer be able to look after my children after May 2006, I am forced into the position of having to give up my job.

My employer is not in a position to offer me part time work or work from home. Can I claim unemployment benefit until I sort out my childcare problems and look for part time work or work from home even though I was not made redundant or sacked. My husband is working full time

No, you can't. You must be "available for & genuinely seeking" work in order to qualify for benefit.

Here's some information from Oasis:

I'd say a trip to your local welfare office or citizens information would be useful. It would seem to me that you are going to be available for and seeking work albeit part-time or home-based work.

There is some information in the above regarding moving from a full-time to job-share position. It also mentions having to mind children and how that affects your ability to be actively seeking work.

I think if you leave work rather than being let go, there is a time period during which you cannot claim benefit.

Back