Ulster customers who have switched to another lender

Brendan Burgess

Founder
Some interesting comments from UB at the Oireachtas Finance Committee. Copied from the Reports by Say Something and myself

McGrath: People who have been examined, but not impacted, have they been informed.

GM: Of the 3,500 - 1,000 have redeemed their mortgages.

McGrath: How will they be dealt with?

GM: We will contact them.

Michael McGrath asking about customers who have switched their mortgages to another bank. How are you going to deal with that issue? Are you going to take them back?

UB
They may take some customers back. They are going to take into account the increased interest rate on the newer mortgage for the life of the loan in the context of redress and compensation. @notabene FYI.

An example was given of say 1.5% tracker & 3.5% variable elsewhere. To be honest I felt it was slightly non committal but it's good to have it placed on the record for future reference.

Basically yes. They keep on yammering on using the 'complexity' argument. But from what I've seen today, they are very unsure of themselves and how they're going to do this. It's not set yet. Just so non committal. Very difficult to trust what we are being told.
Gerry Horkan talking now about switchers.
The majority of whom have not been contacted yet!!!!!

@saysoemthing i'm not surprised that most switchers wouldn't have been contacted yet - I would be fairly sure mine was earlier due to relentlessness! It wouldn't surprise me that they are unsure of how to sort it - not an easy solution in many cases

This is amazing stuff

In December, UB told the Committee that they had about 2,500 customers affected.

They put in their report to the CB in March and clearly the CB has asked them about the note bene's of this world.

And now they have 1,000 more most of whom have "redeemed their mortgage" i.e. switched to another bank.

And they have not been told yet.

Take a bow Nota Bene, without your public work on this and communication to the Central Bank, I bet that the CB wouldn't have been aware of it.

Even if they were aware of it, I would imagine that stories like the following got the Central Bank to take action.

Ulster Bank story today Daily Mail

You have made 1,000 people better off and they have no idea that you were responsible for it.

Ulster Bank almost got away with it.

It's clear from these comments that the Central Bank is serious about these issues

"McGrath: When will you be finished?

GM: We don't know as it depends on the Central Bank to approve it."

Brendan

Last edited:
Back