Ulster Bank won't deal with complaint on miscalculation on mortgage arrears

marymary2

While my parents were ill my sister missed a single mortgage payment in 2013 on an agreed reduced payment arrangement. Then she received a letter in May 2013 stating she had missed 4 payments and was in arrears of €67,348.

Since then she has received multiple letters and calls. She keeps receiving letters all with differing amounts and numbers of missed payments.

Despite phone calls, meetings where bank people say they will get it corrected, formal complaint (May 2018), registered letter to the CEO Jane Howard, she keeps being told the matter is under consideration. She is still getting threatening letters. As a full time carer of two elderly parents with significant illnesses she does not have the energy to keep chasing this. Which is why I am posting.

I can’t believe Ulster Bank can take 5 years to actually tell someone the correct amount they owe!

I think at this stage unless we go outside, it is not going to get resolved.

So what is the quickest way with the least energy/effort to get this resolved? Is it to make a formal complaint to the Financial Ombudsman, get her local TD who is big into housing issues, or to ask one of the free mortgage arrears advisers to help?

She does not want publicity.

All advice appreciated.

The easiest is to go to the Financial Services Ombudsman.

So you need to write to Ulster Bank asking for a Final Response Letter.

When you have that go to the FSO.

There is a fair chance that just asking for that might get someone to fix the issue.

Brendan

I have been waiting since Feb for an answer to a simple query from UB - was I charged the correct rate! I have received several phone calls, but have asked for a letter. I got one in July telling me that it is up to me to know the correct rate and not the bank! In the letter they noted my query and the fact that I did not want to be contacted. Now why would I send a query if I did not want to be contacted? I have completed the online complaint form on several occasions, to no avail.

I wish you luck in your endeavors!

Thanks Brendan,
Will do this. Ravima, Best of luck to you too. Is n't crazy the way they advertise so much and they don't provide basic customer service!

Back