Ulster Bank charges

onekeano

Just rang Ulster Bank because I wanted to move money from one account to another on the web. They tell me you have to register for payments to do this and we charge €19.02 per month.

"If it looks like a rip off and sounds like a rip off it probably is a rip off "

Roy

i'm not being nosey but are you transferring money between accounts within ub or is it from ub to another bank?

Alex.

onekeano said:
"If it looks like a rip off and sounds like a rip off it probably is a rip off "
It's not a rip off if they are informing you in advance and you can take steps to avoid it by moving the money in some other way. It may be a high price/charge though.

onekeano said:
Just rang Ulster Bank because I wanted to move money from one account to another on the web. They tell me you have to register for payments to do this and we charge €19.02 per month.

I've transfered money on-line from my Ulster Bank current account to AIB and Northern Rock
accounts without being charged. Are they trying to make you sign up for a U-first account?

ClubMan said:
It's not a rip off if they are informing you in advance and you can take steps to avoid it by moving the money in some other way. It may be a high price/charge though.

I'm transferring money from an one UB account that I have to another UB account.

Clubman, have to say that sometimes your logic seems strange to say the least. It seems that you set out to be provocative and your interpretation of what is and what is not a rip off seems almost legalistic (think that rings a bell from one of your critics reently?). If PTSB and BOI who I deal with charge NOTHING for this alleged service and the alternative is to hot foot it down to a 30 minute queue in my local UB (if I could find one within a 20 minute drive) - why the hell should any customer have to pay €230 a year for as little as ONE electronic transfer. I could fly to New York for that price!

Roy

PS. Please Please Please dont do the old quote from every single sentence and you Blackhall Place type response......... I think generally people are getting tired of that and it does a disservice to your other contributions.

Ehrm, Roy - not leaping to Clubman's defence or anything (as if such were necessary!) - but why don't you just tell UB that if that's the case, you'd like to close your two (or more) accounts with them and move to one of their competitors?

An electronic funds transfer (inter-branch, inter-bank or international, within the Eurozone) really shouldn't cost more than 50c or 75c these days.

Or would that be taking away your grievance...? ;)

That charge is for business customers, it is free to registar and use anytime banking for personal customers.

DrMoriarty said:
Ehrm, Roy - not leaping to Clubman's defence or anything (as if such were necessary!) - but why don't you just tell UB that if that's the case, you'd like to close your two (or more) accounts with them and move to one of their competitors?

An electronic funds transfer (inter-branch, inter-bank or international, within the Eurozone) really shouldn't cost more than 50c or 75c these days.

Or would that be taking away your grievance...? ;)

Eh Dr, I did actually........ does that make the UB charge ok?

Roy

onekeano said:
Clubman, have to say that sometimes your logic seems strange to say the least. It seems that you set out to be provocative and your interpretation of what is and what is not a rip off seems almost legalistic (think that rings a bell from one of your critics reently?). If PTSB and BOI who I deal with charge NOTHING for this alleged service and the alternative is to hot foot it down to a 30 minute queue in my local UB (if I could find one within a 20 minute drive) - why the hell should any customer have to pay €230 a year for as little as ONE electronic transfer. I could fly to New York for that price!
Here we go again. It is not a rip-off if the charges are set out/notified clearly giving you the opportunity to decline the use of the service and go elsewhere. High prices, maybe. Rip-off, no. As stated above move your business to another bank that charges lower or more reasonable prices for these services if you think that the charges are too high. No customer should pay charges if they consider them too high and there are cheaper alternatives out there. Can't see what's strange about that logic to be honest. Just don't take your frustration out on me for stating the facts.

ClubMan said:
Here we go again. It is not a rip-off if the charges are set out/notified clearly giving you the opportunity to decline the use of the service and go elsewhere. High prices, maybe. Rip-off, no. As stated above move your business to another bank that charges lower or more reasonable prices for these services if you think that the charges are too high. No customer should pay charges if they consider them too high and there are cheaper alternatives out there. Can't see what's strange about that logic to be honest. Just don't take your frustration out on me for stating the facts.

When I set up the accounts NOBODY advised me that it would cost €230 per year to transfer money from one of my accounts to another - for the obvious reason that no lunatic in their right mind would set up an account in those circumstances.

As I have already said when I learnt about this charge I told them to close all the accounts. If you are suggesting that €230 per year is not a rip off to move money from one account to another I find this amazing.

From previous contributions over the years I had gained an admiration of your financial astuteness however I think you undermine those contributions with the more recent need to constantly play the devils advocate and qualifying the term "rip off" in the narrowest of definitions.

Roy

Funny enough when I think about it now, I recall posting "bring Clubman back" messages on the old board about 2-3 years ago. Maybe it should have been "bring the old Clubman back".

onekeano said:
Eh Dr, I did actually........ does that make the UB charge ok?
Not for me, it doesn't - but then I wouldn't/don't pay those kinds of charges to any bank... :)

So, presumably you've moved the accounts? In which case, maybe your original post — since it wasn't a question — should really have gone in the "Letting Off Steam" forum rather than this one?

onekeano said:
When I set up the accounts NOBODY advised me that it would cost €230 per year to transfer money from one of my accounts to another - for the obvious reason that no lunatic in their right mind would set up an account in those circumstances.
Did you read the terms & conditions of the account and the itemised list of charges that the bank supplies to customers in branches or on request? Did you shop around for the best deal on charges and service best matching your specific needs?

As I have already said when I learnt about this charge I told them to close all the accounts. If you are suggesting that €230 per year is not a rip off to move money from one account to another I find this amazing.
Not a rip-off. Possibly a high charge alright that can be avoided by customers apprising themselves of the charging structure and deciding to go elsewhere if the charges don't suit them and there are lower charges on offer elsewhere, as in this case.

From previous contributions over the years I had gained an admiration of your financial astuteness however I think you undermine those contributions with the more recent need to constantly play the devils advocate and qualifying the term "rip off" in the narrowest of definitions.
You're entitled to your opinion. I think that the problem is more that many people automatically use the widest, all encompassing definition of rip-off even when it is inappropriate and when it incorrectly categorises high prices as rip-offs.

Funny enough when I think about it now, I recall posting "bring Clubman back" messages on the old board about 2-3 years ago. Maybe it should have been "bring the old Clubman back".
Not sure what you're on about there or what it has to do with the subject under discussion to be honest.

DrMoriarty said:
Not for me, it doesn't - but then I wouldn't/don't pay those kinds of charges to any bank... :)

So, presumably you've moved the accounts? In which case, maybe your original post — since it wasn't a question — should really have gone in the "Letting Off Steam" forum rather than this one?

No Doc, this came to light today, I posted at that time. I told them I wanted to close the accounts (4 in total). I have not made the arrangements where to move them to but I do have at least 2 options (BOI and PTSB) where I know there will be no costs. So it's still a banking forum from my perspective.

Roy

while on the subject of ulster bank... why don't they do maestro? are there any plans for ub to introduce this?

Alex.

they do yes. i already have that on my card. i can't pay for goods abroad with cirrus. i can only withdraw cash from atm machines abroad with cirrus. i had maestro and cirrus years ago when i banked with boi.

Alex.

I thought that Maestro and Cirrus and Plus+ were all simply ways of using the card in ATMs abroad. Are you saying that Maestro is actually something like a global debit card facility (like Laser except accepted outside of Ireland)?

Sure looks that way [broken link removed]

And we may have used Maestro when in a Croatian supermarket (AIB card)

you have hit the nail right on the head. it is a global debit card. it is very handy to have. ub don't do maestro at the moment though which is a pitty. i had that when i banked with boi and i miss it.

Alex.

Back