Ulster Bank asking me to download update for Mobile App!

Baby boomer

Fired up the mobile app today to check balance and pay a bill. Got prompted to download an update for the app. It's hard to figure out why a company exiting the market would bother rolling out an updated mobile app? I declined their kind offer; the existing app works just fine and I don't imagine tech support for any teething problems with the new app will be a high priority item!

There could be a security issue?

You might have your current account for some time yet.

Updating is easy.

Brendan

The app is based on shared code from the parent bank and gets updated often. Even without new features there are bug fixes and other smaller changes. UB have the best app by far IMO, even including Revolut/N26 in that mix.

Here's what the extra feature is...

"You will now receive alerts when you make a one-off payment and on first payment of a new direct debit."

It's updated on all NatWest accounts, so not specific to Ulster.

I've just completed the update and no other changes that are noticeable

No, it's not that hard. Do you know what is in the update?
No. The prompt I got didn't say.

The app is based on shared code from the parent bank and gets updated often. Even without new features there are bug fixes and other smaller changes. UB have the best app by far IMO, even including Revolut/N26 in that mix.
True, it's an excellent app. But given their lack of commitment to customers here, I don't particularly have confidence in their customer service in the event of problems arising.

Here's what the extra feature is...

"You will now receive alerts when you make a one-off payment and on first payment of a new direct debit."

It's updated on all NatWest accounts, so not specific to Ulster.

I've just completed the update and no other changes that are noticeable
That's interesting. I didn't get that message.

Unless you have a VERY VERY GOOD reason not to, keeping your banking apps up to date should be a priority

As well as adding features, a lot of the updates will probably include security updates, fixes and enhancements even if this isn't flagged in the release notice

Unless you have a VERY VERY GOOD reason not to, keeping your banking apps up to date should be a priority

As well as adding features, a lot of the updates will probably include security updates, fixes and enhancements even if this isn't flagged in the release notice
Point well made, and taken. Although, it wouldn't have been difficult for Ulster Bank to spell that out when asking me to download the update. To my mind, their failure to do so is indicative of a sloppy approach that doesn't fill me with confidence about their commitment to provide technical support if there's a problem with the upgrade.

Point well made, and taken. Although, it wouldn't have been difficult for Ulster Bank to spell that out when asking me to download the update. To my mind, their failure to do so is indicative of a sloppy approach that doesn't fill me with confidence about their commitment to provide technical support if there's a problem with the upgrade.
This is standard on the phones. Most phones will update automatically in the background without you noticing. Both Google and Apple added a way for app developers to display those please update messages for people who's phones hadn't updated, to try an encourage minimum versions.

Generally you would look at the app store to see what is new/changed in the app.

Just to say that after a quick look on my phone, the Ulster Bank IOS app has been updated TWENTY FIVE times in the past year, all without issue.

Keeping apps updated is good and keeping banking apps updated is better!

It's in the app store that they always say what the update has. This is before you proceed with uploading the update.

Similar to other app updates.

I have accounts with UB in NI and ROI, they update them at the same time - so (for now) we are getting the benefit of the broader updates across the group, pending their withdrawal.

Have to say, their app gets better and better, so incredibly frustrating they are leaving. We are moving to BoI and it’s like going back 20 years. Works but it’s awful.

Back