UK State pension - Am I class 2 or Class 3

One counter argument against paying historical years is that (touch wood) a contributor may not reach retirement age and therefore derive zero benefit from their payments. The New State Pension, which you would be entitled to (according to current rules), has no surviving spouse benefit. Your estate is theoretically reduced by the amount of the lump sum payments.

Think positively though and on balance I agree with the views of DannyBoyD and jrbeire.

As far as I can gather the system defaults to Class 3; if you believe it should be Class 2 make that case when you complete CF83.
On the online form was there somewhere to make that case? I just filled in all the details and submitted but I did not see anything about class/2/3. Wondering if I should follow up with a letter and some documentation.

One counter argument against paying historical years is that (touch wood) a contributor may not reach retirement age and therefore derive zero benefit from their payments. The New State Pension, which you would be entitled to (according to current rules), has no surviving spouse benefit. Your estate is theoretically reduced by the amount of the lump sum payments.

Think positively though and on balance I agree with the views of DannyBoyD and jrbeire.

There is still a benefit, in some cases, to buying back the years and continuing to buy them back until reaching retirment age, even if you die before the UK retirement age.
I have an AVC, with 200k and was anticipating that this sum would have to bolster my pension payments over a 20/25 year period.
But if I know that I am guaranteed an inflation proof payment, from age 67. for the rest of my life, I can use this sum over a shorter period. I can retire earlier and spend the 200k during my 60's, knowing that if I do live beyond 67 the pension will kick in. And if I don't make it, then, at least, I have had a few extra years of well funded retirement

Back