UK property investment

K

keano

Good morning

First time to post on the site.

I have decided to buy an appartment in the UK and have done the research in terms of visiting the location checking the market for rents etc etc. One niggle I have though is that the developer selling the appt (Irish based) has made it a condition that I use the solicitor nominated by them. In fairness the conveyancing fees quoted for the solicitor seem reasonable

Is this unusual?

Many thanks

From personal experience I can confirm that conveyencing fees are far cheaper in England than Ireland. Last year I paid £325 to purchase a property costing £120,000 - and the solicitor was very efficient!.

In relation to having to use a specified solicitor - I don't like the idea and I would think long and hard before agreeing to such a condition.

This sounds extremely suspect to me. The solicitor needs to be on your side, and needs to be able to negotiate with the seller on your behalf. If he is really the best buddy of the developer, you are at a disadvantage. Worse still, if he is in cahoots with the developer to palm you off with a dodgy property or a dodgy title, you'll be faced with a very expensive mess to sort out later. Get your own solicitor.

Back