UK inheritance - tax liability

ron.27

My elderly father's sister who lived in the UK died in 2010 without a will. Since he was the only remaining family member, he was left to deal with the estate (limited to about GBP 35,000 GBP in the bank).

Due to various reasons (missing documents, my aunt going under various names/dates of birth, my own father's health), it took him until 2013 to get probate granted and another 5 years to get the bank to release the funds which they did in the form of a cheque at the very end of 2018.

I am now trying to understand the expected CAT liability before the cheques are cashed.

Am I correct in understanding that the applicable CAT threshold is linked to the date of death?

What about the valuation of the inheritance taking into account currency conversion: is it date of death, date of probate or date the funds were made available?

As far as I know a brother can inherit to the value of €32,500.00 in "Ireland" and has no tax to pay. I'm presuming the brother is here in Ireland?

Thank you, yes, my father is in Ireland.
What I am trying to figure out is what to expect for the tax liability in what is above the €32.5k tax free.

Given the big swings in the EUR/GBP exchange rate, there would some difference if the valuation date is date of death (2010), date of probate (2013) or date the money became available (end 2018).

I get the following from Revenue:
"In the case of an inheritance, the valuation date is normally the earliest of the following dates:
  • The date the inheritance can be set aside for or given to the beneficiary
  • The date it is actually retained for the benefit of the beneficiary
  • The date it is transferred or paid over to the beneficiary"
What does a few years of exchanging letters with the bank constitute?

Back