UK Government Gateway registration - Irish passport chip won't read

Dr Strangelove

I tried to sign up for the UK government gateway account. To verify identity basically you get to a point where an app takes a photo of your passport and then you hold up your passport to your smartphone so that it can read the chip in the passport to match it. No matter how many times and how many angles I tried it I couldn't get my phone to read the chip. It's a chip-enabled Irish passport from 2016.

Has anyone else had this problem?

There used to be a different way to register if you had a UK address but I don't see this anymore (I have relatives in London). Is this an option? Or is there another way?

Check a few basics first

Did you enable NFC?
Do you have a cover on yr phone - removing it often helps.

Would not recommend using an address you are not living at.

Did you enable NFC?
Yes but now that you mention it there may be some restrictions as it’s a work device. I can still top up a Leap card and use Apple Pay so something is working.

Do you have a cover on yr phone - removing it often helps.
Removed it, yes.

Would not recommend using an address you are not living at.
I’ve a reliable relative who will forward post or take pics of it.

Its not the post question, its the contradiction between saying you are permanently abroad for voluntary NICs & giving a UK address.

Give it a day or two, restart phone, install any updates due, reboot laptop, clear cookies, wave your passport in the air (ok I made that up!)

A few folks have reported issues, but got there in the end.

Back