UK Car Imports after 1st January 2021

Hi,

I would have thought the vrt price would be from when it was imported back in 2020. What date did you go into the vrt office for car examination?
That's how it normally works as I have imported a car in the past and as it was not listed on the vrt site I had to wait 5 days for them to supply the price via phone. However the value is taken from the date of import not from when the vrt contact you.
Are they charging you the new vrt rates including nox or the old 2020 vrt rates? Brexit has no affect on that except if duty has to be paid but I am certain that is a separate payment.

regards
Hi there , I had it in in the 16th December, I got a stastic code on the 4 th January when I paid, to look up breakdown of cost but cones up , not available, I rang head vrt office and had told me to send an appeal as looks like I had been charged the new 2021 price and I should be refund the difference, but I have heard nothing since, it a big difference in price tho. Waiting patiently.

Hi there , I had it in in the 16th December, I got a stastic code on the 4 th January when I paid, to look up breakdown of cost but cones up , not available, I rang head vrt office and had told me to send an appeal as looks like I had been charged the new 2021 price and I should be refund the difference, but I have heard nothing since, it a big difference in price tho. Waiting patiently.
I’ve been waiting on a VAT appeal for an imported car since August. It’s being processed apparently, but all seems to move very slowly. So you’re not alone, but I would not be checking the post each morning expecting a response any time soon.

I’ve been waiting on a VAT appeal for an imported car since August. It’s being processed apparently, but all seems to move very slowly. So you’re not alone, but I would not be checking the post each morning expecting a response any time soon.
That’s just awful, a long time , I was told I should hear from them in 14 working days , so fingers crossed , hope I don’t need to wait that long

Hi Karen,
I am just wondering how you got on with your car Re VRT, I imported my car in December booked it into the VRT centre and got app for January had to wait 2 weeks for a price and was told it was going to cost me €11,400 when it should have been €5600 huge difference I went to the guy in the VRT office and he told me that I have been charged the 2021rate and not 2020 rate and for me to send a query to Revenue on MyEnquiries I told him that I didn't have the money to pay the €11400 all I had was €5600 which it was to be that I sent a query on that day back in January and got one reply telling me there was a back log and I am still waiting have you got anywhere with your query and did you pay the full amount?? Thanks it's a total disaster if you ask me when we have the documents showing the car came into the country December 2020 and charge us the 2021 rate.

I have read through this thread but I am still unsure what the situation is with buying a car in NI now. We have bought in NI before and the 'only' added bill was VRT which was paid at a NCT centre.

Can someone who has bought a used car since Jan 2021 tell me what we can expect now? From what I have read there is VRT and Custom duty, but no VAT?

Does anyone know how the Customs Duty in calculated?

Any additional information would be appreciated!?

Can someone who has bought a used car since Jan 2021 tell me what we can expect now? From what I have read there is VRT and Custom duty, but no VAT?
Detailed here. Talk to the NI dealer and make sure they can provide the required T2L.

Thats a great document, thank you. As long as T2L correct, there seems to be only be an additional Nox charge & this is included in the VRT charge! I'm pleasantly surprised, it seems fairly straight forward despite all else that Brexit graced us with.

Remember the NOx charge. Also, be suer to inspect the paperwork prior to purchasing to ensure duty was paid on import into NI. I read a report a while back that the UK government were unilaterally waiving that charge, which would then mean that car would then be liable for Duty / VAT coming south.

Back