Two form 12 submitted but treated differently

geri

Myself and Mr Geri (not married) submitted two form 12's last october as we recently started renting out a property. Both of us are PAYE workers . We have no other source of income.
In november I received a Balancing statement stating that I owed a small amount (approx 100 euro), and that they would not be collecting it at this time. Two weeks ago, Mr Geri received an assessment return form stating that he owed over 1000 Euro and that payment must be made immediately. This was not a balancing statement. He called the revenue (unbelievably he got through to someone immediately!) to query, and the lady told him that it needed adjustment and a new form would be sent out to him. She was very short with him and claimed it wasn't a mistake, just an adjustment which needed to be made. Last week the new form came, stating that he owed 28 Euro and this had to be paid immediately. Again, this was not a balancing statement but an assessment return form. Does anyone know why the two submissions would be treated differently?

Back