Twitter Ireland - Defamation.

JG0009

Someone made a an account for the sole purpose of putting false information about a real person from a particular area on twitter.

1) Made posts on the account itself naming a person from a particular area and saying they were involved in various illegal activities.
2) Posted a link to a news story, then named the person again and said this is them again.

The person in question was made aware of the twitter page and the comments.
They contacted twitter through the "report tweet/account" form.
Twitter replied to some saying "No violation, no action will be taken" and the page and comments stayed for some time.

During this time, said persons family + friends saw the page and comments and said person had family members call them and ask what was going on, was it true etc.

The stuff was fairly serious in nature and if for example a potential employer saw said posts, it would definitely put a question over their head.

Twitters unwillingness and lack of care was both shocking and worrying. It is impossible to speak to an actual human about it.

Screenshots of the defamatory posts have been saved.

What if anything could be done? One wouldnt even want financial compensation, just a note or something to say that XXX was not true and we are sorry. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks

Brendan Burgess

Founder
Hi JG

Is the tweet still there?

Has it been seen much? Has it been retweeted?

You will need to get a solicitor to write to them for them to take it seriously.

Brendan

JG0009

Hi JG

Is the tweet still there?

Has it been seen much? Has it been retweeted?

You will need to get a solicitor to write to them for them to take it seriously.

Brendan
It is down now but the whole thing was up for about two whole days. Thanks for the reply.
I understand these things can be costly, thats why I was hoping for a rough idea on the matter before hand.

DeeKie

Frequent Poster
It is down now but the whole thing was up for about two whole days. Thanks for the reply.
I understand these things can be costly, thats why I was hoping for a rough idea on the matter before hand.
How did it come down?

DeeKie

Frequent Poster
Costs are very fact specific. You’d get an idea if you put together a detailed briefing document that included all evidence and send to a good defamation solicitor to price.