Twitter Defamation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes because that hypothetical is a fair comparison

The employee works for a large company with thousands of employees. He or she has gotten into conflict publicly with a personal friend of the CEO. The employee is a long way removed from the CEO and doesn’t know him or her.

Whatever way you want to look at it, it doesn’t bode well.

It is perhaps more analagous to me having a shouting match publicly in a bar with Zuckerberg’s brother-in-law and me working for Facebook.

I should have written the lack of empathy for the OP by some posters!

I think that is due to him actually starting it. This person (not even sure if they are a celebrity, they have a media profile, it could be a youtuber!) wouldn't even know who goosebump is and wouldn't have said anything if he hadn't started it.

And I wonder how many people saw the reply, it's not as if everyone reads all the comments. And even further, how many people actually cared?

The lesson is, if you are going to troll on twitter, do it through an anonymous account!!

Grown man acts like child and makes a mean comment on social media to some celebrity.
Grown man/celebrity reacts like child and responds and makes sure person's employer sees it.
Employer says stop engaging on twitter on that person and moves on with running the company.
Initial grown man who started all this refuses to let it go as his honor has been slighted
The grown man has decided that after consulting multiple solicitors who either tell him to forget it or refuse to engage even if they thought he had a case because like most people, they realise that this isn't worth the effort.
Instead of trying to get twitter or the celebrity to remove the tweet or even remove his own twitter profile, the grown man leaves everything all up there so that the lawyers (when he finds one) will be able to see it.
Everyone is pointing out spending thousands on some sort of legal action is pointless. What the celebrity did to he OP was wrong. It was ignorant. It was childish. It was also dangerous. But the OP is at risk of losing sight of what is important by hassling their employer to admit they were wrong to interfere, stressing about it and then looking to spend thousands of euro on protecting their good name when I am willing to bet that no-one even remembers the tweet and cares even less. Just a

Musk called someone a child abuser on Twitter and was let off. People and companies with much higher profiles than the OP are abused and defamed every single day. I have seen people accusing our politicians of personally causing the deaths of people, of taking bribes and everything else under the sun. Nobody unless you are Gemma O Doherty runs to the lawyers. People who get personally insulted by what is written on sites like Twitter and even AAM by people not even using their real names need to stop engaging with others on social media.

The employee works for a large company with thousands of employees. He or she has gotten into conflict publicly with a personal friend of the CEO. The employee is a long way removed from the CEO and doesn’t know him or her.

Whatever way you want to look at it, it doesn’t bode well.

It is perhaps more analagous to me having a shouting match publicly in a bar with Zuckerberg’s brother-in-law and me working for Facebook.

while less spurious than your previous analogy , a social media scrap is hardly equivalent to a screaming match in public

well known public personalities receive snide and insulting remarks on twitter every day of the week

while less spurious than your previous analogy , a social media scrap is hardly equivalent to a screaming match in public

well known public personalities receive snide and insulting remarks on twitter every day of the week

That’s the point, it is!

People need to realise that.

True, a public screaming match doesn't leave a permanent public record viewable by millions!

like i said , twitter scraps happen all the time , OP hasnt revealed what he said but claims the other side defamed him in return

i wouldnt bother pursuing it personally but the rush to hang him is slightly tedious in its level of pompous condemnation

the amount of monocles which have been dropped is off the charts

i wouldnt bother pursuing it personally but the rush to hang him is slightly tedious in its level of pompous condemnation

Many have interpreted the OP's classification of their own comment as 'mean' to equate to abuse or bullying, and so feel condemnation is appropriate based on the limited information shared.

the amount of monocles which have been dropped is off the charts

Comments like the above, and referring to other posters here as pompous puts you a long way off the moral high ground.

Many have interpreted the OP's classification of their own comment as 'mean' to equate to abuse or bullying, and so feel condemnation is appropriate based on the limited information shared.

Comments like the above, and referring to other posters here as pompous puts you a long way off the moral high ground.

I read the first page or two of this thread a few days ago and only returned to it again today, and I'm finding it all fascinating!

I'm not sure if I'd go so far as to describe it as pomposity but I definitely have reservations about the level of presumption and dismissiveness pervading the thread.

People seem to be starting from a position of presuming the OP is unreasonable and/or irrational, rather than reasonable and/or rational. I find that interesting.

Then there seems to be a general presumption from most contributors that the mean comment was something that constituted "abuse" and that therefore the OP was fair game for the response of the unnamed celebrity. When I read the OP what I imagined was along the lines of:
[celeb]: "Look at these homemade scones I made while on lockdown!"
[OP]: "They look about as wooden and unpalatable as your performance in XXXX!" (Hypothetically the celeb is an actor!)
Something a bit pointed or sharp, mean spirited rather than actually abusive...

Needless to say, nobody knows where precisely on the rather subjective spectrum of meanness / abusiveness the OP's comment was, because the OP hasn't given any further information, and for good reason. But I don't see why them referring to it as "mean" should equate it to abuse or bullying.

If one presumes the OP is a reasonable and rational person then one has to wonder at what the defamatory response must have been, to engender such a desire for rectification on the part of the OP. But it appears that the majority here (starting from a presumption of the OP being unreasonable) don't seem willing / able to recognise that a defamatory tweet that is likely to have been read by more people than read most local / regional newspapers, could be quite harmful to a person.

Since the OP's employer has acknowledged that they had no business engaging with him on the matter, I don't see why he can't / shouldn't engage a solicitor to write on his behalf to the person in question asking for the offending tweet to be remedied in whatever way might be best. But then I'm making presumptions too - that the OP is a reasonable person and that when they describe something as a wildly inaccurate claim portraying them in a very poor light, then that is a fair description.

An intriguing thread all round...!

You'll always find someone online that will take the bait, you started it - been mean, maybe they reacted wrongly. But you can't get your time back you've wasted on this and you don't seem to have learned.

My advice save yourself years of wasted time by deleting social media, this is not important no one will remember this especially with all the covid19 stuff.

Just have a little think about this, imagine a child coming to you and saying "dad that boy over there is telling everyone I'm xxxx, you'd say" did you say something to him first?"
Yes , well you won't do that again.

Move on, get a hobbie. This is a bit embarrassing unless your 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back