TV

B

BlackDiamond

My widesscreen Black Diamond TV is broken beyond repair after 2 years. First the screen went weird. Now there is no screen and it makes a whistling sound when turned on.

Anyway, I am in the market for a new reliable widescreen TV with a decent guarantee (3 yr at least).
Can anyone recommend a make/model. Budget is around €600. I suppose Currys is the cheapest shop for TVs?

black coal

Black Diamond tv's are not made by Mitsubishi any more. You have probably found that out by now. Hardly Normal are advertising round the clock about deals.Watters in Culloville are hard to beat , on price and service. They would recommend a Grundig or Panasonic. They will also let you know if you ask - if it REALLY is a Grundig etc. Apparantly not everything is as it says on the tin.

Re: black coal

I have a Mitsubishi (not black diamond) since 1998 and last year the picture went.
When I rang the t.v. repair man he asked me how old it was and if it was a black diamond, when I told him he said 'good' and that he should be able to fix it. It was a small part and cost €40 including labour.
I asked him about Mitsubishis and he said that my telly should go for years as it had been made in the far-east and were of a very high quality. He said that the black diamond ones are made in Turkey and are not of a high, even good standard and that he wouldn't touch one even to fix it as they were so unreliable.
My telly is still going over a year later, as good as ever.

Re: black coal

The Black Diamond brand was sort of hived off by Mitsubishi a few years ago although it seems to be still linked to the company in some ways. As far as I know they use standard components and Thomson tubes and the build quality is quite acceptable. CRT based TVs are commodities these days and regardless of who builds them they are generally reliable. On the other hand, given the choice my head would say Sony even if my wallet would say Black Diamond/BEKO/etc... ;)

Back