TV Remote Control

T

Tony Soprano

My combo remote control for the TV & SKY will semi work for the TV in that if I go right up to the TV I can change stations get teletext etc.. I cannot do this from the luxury of the couch anymore. The SKY part works grand. Any suggestion why this is the case?

Did it work in the past and has (almost) stopped working recently? If so then there could be a problem with the IR (infra red) receiver unit on the TV. If it never worked properly then I'm not sure why that would be... If it's a universal remote then make sure that you use the appropriate device code for your TV (there may be several for the same manufacturer and you may need to try different options).

TV

Yip - worked perfectly until a week ago. Me thinks it could be the infra red receiver unit on the TV. What could I do about this? It is a 4yo TV and apart from the current problem nothing else wrong with it.

TV

Try the simple things first - make sure that the IR receiver on the TV is not covered or particularly dirty which may adversely affect reception of the IR signal. If that's not the cause and there are no other tweaks (e.g. to increase the IR signal strength on the remote or sensitivity of the TV's receiver) then the only option might be to get the TV serviced and a new IR module put it (if possible).

Solution

Long ago there used to be things stuck on the front of the set. Buttons I think they were called. Try pushing them and see if anything happens.

Hope this helps.

TV

Thanks to unregistered user? Sometimes the simple thing works. I cleaned the infra red censor on the TV. Voila - problem solved.

Back