Tutors / Grinds website

AndroidMan

No obvious forum for this question, but it is a service I suppose.

Is there a website that details out of school tutors or grinds suppliers?

One of my children is struggling with maths in their leaving cert year.
Is there a website with details of tutors by location with feedback and ratings from others?
I dont have the contacts to find these myself.

I am sure there are many more and as I can't make a recommendation from personal experience, proceed with caution, which ever supplier you choose.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
Maybe ask in the secondary school if they have any recommendations or check in local library if they happen to know of someone.
Definitely better to get a referral for this.

No obvious forum for this question, but it is a service I suppose.

Is there a website that details out of school tutors or grinds suppliers?

One of my children is struggling with maths in their leaving cert year.
Is there a website with details of tutors by location with feedback and ratings from others?
I dont have the contacts to find these myself.
Before looking for a tutor I suggest there are a number of things you need to understand.

Is the student themselves looking for help, or is it more the parents idea ?

Is the issue a question of confidence or actual maths knowledge and understanding ?

Has the student shown reasonable commitment to their maths studies up to now?

I have significant experience with LC maths grinds, I did them almost full time some years ago.

I am familiar with 2 of the 3 sites mentioned above. I do not think they add much value. If you wish to respond to the above questions I may be able to suggest how to go about finding the right person.

Before looking for a tutor I suggest there are a number of things you need to understand.

Is the student themselves looking for help, or is it more the parents idea ?

Is the issue a question of confidence or actual maths knowledge and understanding ?

Has the student shown reasonable commitment to their maths studies up to now?

I have significant experience with LC maths grinds, I did them almost full time some years ago.

I am familiar with 2 of the 3 sites mentioned above. I do not think they add much value. If you wish to respond to the above questions I may be able to suggest how to go about finding the right person.
Happy to say that the child has asked me to get them help.
It is more about understanding than a confidence issue as far as I can see, but possibly it is a combination of both.
Yes, commitment is there, it is that additional support that is needed.

I would have a profile in mind, not so much a young tutor that is currently studying as their priorites may not align with mine, especially if they have exam commitments that may clash with my childs.
Also an upper age limit as well, maybe up to 30, as the teaching methods have also changed since I was at school.

Based on what you say I would suggest a 3rd level maths/engineering student. They know the material and a mature confident LC might develop a better rapport with them than with a more schoolteacher type.

Regarding the sites mentioned by mathepac, on reflection and given that many grinds are now on zoom etc. those sites may well add value these days in that they can match people irrespective of location.

Back