Turns of phrase

I think some of our more colourful language and turns of phrase emanate from gaelic and the anglicisation of words and phrases that are peculiar to our native language. Mind you I'm not sure if we can really blame the gaeilge for "every other day" or is that "gach la eile"??

Carpenter said:
I think some of our more colourful language and turns of phrase emanate from gaelic and the anglicisation of words and phrases that are peculiar to our native language.
Indeed - even the very English slang term [broken link removed] comes from gaelic.

Gach eile lá, or gach lá eile, means every other day and would mean exactly that. Every other day besides that particular day that you are talking about.

Oh great stuff congratulations, Clubdad! What will he call the baby on here I wonder Club-Lite or ClubMilk or Clubín :D

Well, since Clubman's good news is now public, here's a little present for the babby...

[broken link removed]

(and here's one for , CCOVITCH! )

ajapale said:
Hi Pricilla,

As far as im concerned next weekend is just that and not the weekend thats over 8 days away.

ajapale

Does that mean on Fridays next weekend is the weekend after next and not this weekend?

DrMoriarty said:
Well, since Clubman's good news is now public, here's a little present for the babby...

[broken link removed]

(and here's one for , CCOVITCH! http://82.195.144.147/images/smilies/wink.gif)[/QUOTE]

I'm laughing Dr. M, but I'm not a consultant (yet!) :D

I did 'touch base' with a few recruitment consultants at lunchtime, and hopefully they will 'revert' to me with some further detail on the 'exciting opportunities' in the job market today. To get me the ideal job will take much 'thinking outside the box' on their part ;) .

Congrats Clubman,

You'll have to get ClubBoy or ClubGirl down to "the big club"

Not sure how many ClubJuniors there are
But if this is the 1st, best give up looking for evidence on any topics now

I now "Stuart-ina Little" has a knack of winning debates in my house and never once has produced one shread of evidence for any assesrtions

[email protected]
PS God help the members of www.rollercoaster.ie

Congratulations to Clubman and especially to the new mum.

Hope mum and babe are well.

Among midwives, September babies are known as 'the Christmas babies or the Christmas deliveries'.

And before Clubman comes back with "wheres the evidence?" for this statement, I'm expecting (pardon the awful pun, couldn't resist) the stork will have enlightened him

Carpenter said:
I'm sorry Clubman but there'll be no ZZZZZZs for a few weeks yet!
Early days yet, and no doubt lots of hard work ahead, but certainly it has not been as bad or onerous as the picture that most people painted - often with a certain air of schadenfreude. Two weeks in and he sleeps for 3-4 and hours at a stretch (sometimes longer especially if he gets a formula feed which keeps them digesting and full for longer) between feeds, kick abouts, perambulations etc. Not to mention all the warm fuzzy feelings that he brings to us and others. (Awwwhhhh... :eek:). Whatever about alerting people to the realities and practicalities of a situation, it's a shame that so many people seem to revel in accentuating the negative in this and so many other contexts. Is this a peculiarly Irish thing or something... :(

So true, Clubman- I was just talking to my first cousin who's due very shortly, and told her the first month, contrary to what I had been told, was fantastic...baby sleeps ALL the time, in between feeds, no problems getting them to sleep either. She was pretty relieved, having been warned by umpteen people that the first few months were hell. Guess its natures way of giving the new mum a break. They do get a bit livlier as the time goes on, but with it comes other compensations- first smile, first giggle...awww babies are fantastic!

That's my recall, too — the little dotes can sleep (by fits and starts) for up to 19 or 20 hours per day, in the early weeks. That kind of pattern doesn't return until they leave school and go to 'Collidge' or start looking for a job...

http://www.indianchild.com/baby_sleep.htm (Link).

Back