TSW Commission recommends a tourist tax

Brendan Burgess

Founder
6.12 The Commission recommends the introduction of an accommodation tax. The intention to introduce this tax should be signalled early and a process of engagement with relevant stakeholders should be undertaken prior
to implementation of the tax.

I have no idea what this means.

6.12 The Commission recommends the introduction of an accommodation tax. The intention to introduce this tax should be signalled early and a process of engagement with relevant stakeholders should be undertaken prior
to implementation of the tax.

I have no idea what this means.
It's a tourist tax. We have enough tourists. We shouldn't be looking to increase the numbers. We should be looking to generate more revenue from the same amount.

It's a tourist tax. We have enough tourists. We shouldn't be looking to increase the numbers. We should be looking to generate more revenue from the same amount.
Correct, in effect charge everyone who stays in a hotel €2 per night (as an example). It's quite common in other countries.

Correct, in effect charge everyone who stays in a hotel €2 per night (as an example). It's quite common in other countries.
Not everyone who stays in paying accommodation is a tourist.
Most parts of the country don't have nearly enough tourists, The tourism sector in my neck of the woods is a pale shadow of what it was 30 years ago for example.

Most parts of the country don't have nearly enough tourists, The tourism sector in my neck of the woods is a pale shadow of what it was 30 years ago for example.

Many parts could do with more support but I'd rather see that being given in a targeted way rather than hotels in Dublin and Galway and other busy parts of the country getting the same supports as the ones in Cavan.

Many parts could do with more support but I'd rather see that being given in a targeted way rather than hotels in Dublin and Galway and other busy parts of the country getting the same supports as the ones in Cavan.
This isn't about supports though. It's about a proposal to levy yet another tax on tourist and other accommodation in large parts of the country that have insufficient tourism and insufficient accommodation, on the mistaken assumption that these "have enough tourists" and "we shouldn't be looking to increase the numbers".

This isn't about supports though. It's about a proposal to levy yet another tax on tourist and other accommodation in large parts of the country that have insufficient tourism and insufficient accommodation, on the mistaken assumption that these "have enough tourists" and "we shouldn't be looking to increase the numbers".
We collect the tax from all parts of the country and redirect the money raised to areas which require it most. At the moment there are subsidies on all hotels in the country which are being paid for through taxation elsewhere in the economy. We have plenty of tourists but they are concentrated in a smallish number of locations throughout the country. Taxation can be used as a tool to encourage a more even spread. Ideally we'd have an efficient State sector and just less taxes but that's a different discussion.

The Commission recommends the introduction of an accommodation tax.
It's a daft idea and collection costs would be very high relative to what would be yield. €2 on every B&B bill is hardly worth the effort to collect and remit.

Ireland has no local fiscal capacity anyway so there's no way to effectively hypothecate it for the geographical areas where it is collected.

There is already an accommodation tax anyway. It's called VAT.

We collect the tax from all parts of the country and redirect the money raised to areas which require it most. At the moment there are subsidies on all hotels in the country which are being paid for through taxation elsewhere in the economy. We have plenty of tourists but they are concentrated in a smallish number of locations throughout the country. Taxation can be used as a tool to encourage a more even spread. Ideally we'd have an efficient State sector and just less taxes but that's a different discussion.
You won't do that by taxing low-demand areas on the basis that they "have enough tourists".

You won't do that by taxing low-demand areas on the basis that they "have enough tourists".
Taxes are rarely imposed in isolation. If the tax is used to gather revenue from the entire country and redirect it to areas where it is needed most then it will increase tourism in those areas in question. There are around 150,000 hotel beds in the country so assuming full capacity with a €2 per room charge on the entire country raises around €300,000 a day. That money can be redirected to the smaller number of hotel beds in the under utilised areas of the country so they have a net gain (they get more out than the €2 a day they pay in). We'll be subsidising the BMW region anyway, and rightly so, so I'd rather see the money raised that way than increased taxes on labour.

Taxes are rarely imposed in isolation. If the tax is used to gather revenue from the entire country and redirect it to areas where it is needed most then it will increase tourism in those areas in question. There are around 150,000 hotel beds in the country so assuming full capacity with a €2 per room charge on the entire country raises around €300,000 a day. That money can be redirected to the smaller number of hotel beds in the under utilised areas of the country so they have a net gain (they get more out than the €2 a day they pay in). We'll be subsidising the BMW region anyway, and rightly so, so I'd rather see the money raised that way than increased taxes on labour.
Not everyone who stays in paying accommodation is a tourist.

Okay, I've given my opinion and laid out why I think it's a good idea if it is used to support under developed regions of the country. That's me done.

As a tourist in other countries I always feel a pang of irritation when I see tourist tax levied - am I not spending enough in this country already? - with a hint of suspicion if it’s a new country where I’m not sure if it’s real or not. Not a fan myself, though I do appreciate the point you make @Purple.

Back