Truffle Farming

Snails are in abundance in Ireland - and you get an annual crop immediately.

Truffles are relatively rare here. Not sure if it's the weather or the host trees.

Fungi are very complex and unpredictable

Brendan

yes, but my point was that no one had done it before and the native type of Irish snail is not normally edible.

Hi Peanuts

From time to time people tell me that they have a fantastic internet idea. I listen patiently and tell them it's nonsense. Their response is always the same "But people thought that Facebook was nonsense. Facebook succeeded. Therefore this is a great idea."

The vast majority of internet ideas are nonsense and fail.

I am worried that you are giving support to a mad idea.

The conditions in Ireland are not favourable to truffle production. There is no history of it here. It is a ten year project.

There is no comparison with snail farming. It would have been clear within a short while whether that was going to work or not. I have no idea whether she had to buy the land or not, but it was a risky venture. But she was probably able to manage the risk.

Brendan

Hi Peanuts

From time to time people tell me that they have a fantastic internet idea. I listen patiently and tell them it's nonsense. Their response is always the same "But people thought that Facebook was nonsense. Facebook succeeded. Therefore this is a great idea."

The vast majority of internet ideas are nonsense and fail.

I am worried that you are giving support to a mad idea.

The conditions in Ireland are not favourable to truffle production. There is no history of it here. It is a ten year project.

There is no comparison with snail farming. It would have been clear within a short while whether that was going to work or not. I have no idea whether she had to buy the land or not, but it was a risky venture. But she was probably able to manage the risk.

Brendan
I'm not giving support to a mad idea. What I did say, is that other people with out of the box ideas have succeeded and what I also said is what I would say to anyone with a business idea, reach out to your local LEO for advice.

Incidentally, other people are doing this in unlikely places

Turns out that the Irish climate is perfect for truffles...

This guy leases existing farmland and enhances the naturally growing truffles.

“Irish truffles used to be very poor — only 20g, very small, with no smell or taste,” he says. “We have spent a fortune developing them over the past decade. We use organic natural ingredients in powder form as a fertiliser to enhance the mineral content of the soil around the trees where the truffle nests occur naturally. It takes 10 years for a large truffle to develop. Year by year, the size, quality and flavour of the truffle improves. It is a very slow process, like watching a child grow.

Thanks everyone for all the responses. It has been very interesting to read and get people's opinions. I appreciate all the feedback. I will do more research.

Back