TRS - For non-FTB but first time TRS claimant

smithfielder

Hi all,

I am presently filling out the TRS form and need your help for one of the questions. Here's my situation.

In 1999, I took out a buy to let mortgage on an apartment in Cork but was renting in London at the time so never lived there. As it was BTL, I never claimed TRS.

I have since returned to Ireland and have been renting in Dublin for the last 6 years or so and have now bought my own place. So I am not a first time buyer but I have never claimed TRS before either.

What should I answer to the following question on the TRS form?

1. Is this your first home loan? If 'N', please enter the date you
took out your 1st mortgage loan.

I have spoken to two different people at Revenue and got two different answers. One told me as I haven't claimed TRS before I should answer YES, and the other said I should answer NO because it is not my first mortgage, hence the confusion.

Can any of you clear this up for me?

Many thanks

I have spoken to two different people at Revenue and got two different answers. One told me as I haven't claimed TRS before I should answer YES, and the other said I should answer NO because it is not my first mortgage, hence the confusion.
I believe that the first answer is correct and you can claim "FTB" mortgage interest relief. If in doubt just attach a note to the claim form explaining how your first mortgage was not an owner occupier one.

Back