TRS and mortgage query

polly_wolly

took out my first mortgage in late 2005 with First Active. it was a current account mortgage and was going well for the first few months. they then informed me that due to admin changes and updating of computers they would have to change the mortgage from the current account to a tracker. this was not only for me, but for anyone who took the same current account mortgage.
they told me my payments would change and be increased by over €90 a month. i refused to sign anything as i deemed it unfair. after a stand off between myself and my bank, eventually i was offered a mortgage which was almost as similar and signed the contract.

now, what my problem is is
i was on my first mortgage and am still a first time buyer, therefore my Tax Relief on the mortgage was €66.66 per month. but what has now happened is as far as the tax office is concerned, i am no longer a first time buyer, albeit, through no choice of my own, and subsequently now only receive the lower TRS standard rate.
i should be now getting €133.32, but am only getting in the region of €34 taken off.

what are my rights and options here

advice needed please

Doesn't make much sense to me. Have you talked to First Active and Revenue. There must be loads of people in the same boat. I can't see any reason why you would lose your FTB status

i have only realised now that this is actually happening, and believe me, it makes no sense to me either.

what are the best routes to take on this

Write to Revenue about the situation and ask them for their explanation.
i rang them there and they explained it to me. am still classed as a first time buyer and will be sorted out in that bracket. they class it on the amount of interest i pay on my mortgage, so the fact i had paid less interest for the last couple of months of the year, means i received less relief. but for the year ahead i will be classed as a first time buyer and get the full whack.
she said something about them being inundated with similar calls, and also that the banks have not paid people what they are due, that the letter i received from my bank yesterday saying i would only get €34 is wrong and will be corrected in february when they get my interest payments up to date

or something like that

thanks folks

Back