Trellis for climbing plants?

laila

Hi Any advice on which kind of trellis to use to support climbing plants on concrete wall. I am thinking of using the plastic covered wire mesh which seems expensive to me - 30 euro in B&Q for five meters. I am also wondering should this be fixed to the wall under or over a wooden baton or fixed directly to the wall. The wooden trellis seems cheaper and would look nicer but I guess it would not last as long.
Thanks in advance.

Am not much of a gardener, but it might depend to what you intend growing there. If it is deciduous, the trellis would be exposed in the winter and rot after a while. Personally I would go for wire mesh which you can fix against the wall with a packet of masonary nails and some strong plastic coated wire.

An inexpensive solution for large areas is to buy treated 2x1" battens (or treat them yourself) fix these vertically to the wall at 600- 1200 centres with masonry nails(depending on plant density etc). Then fix light gauge galvanised tying wire at 300c/cs vertically, fixing with small fencing staples at each batten. Trail plants through the wires, tying with string as required, once plants become established the trellis becomes almost invisible. This is a very cost effective solution for large areas of wall and the trellis looks quite "architectural" and even when bare takes the grey look off a concrete wall.

Back