Other Tree removal - do we need to see proof of insurance?

micamaca

Hi there,

I did a quick search, but could not find anything specific to this question. We are looking to hire someone to remove a tree from our front garden. The tree is probably about 2 meters high and 2 meters wide...not very pretty! It's an evergreen - started off as a tiny Christmas tree covered in sparkle and has now mushroomed :)

Anyho, I have found someone local in the area who has offered to do this for us. Also, we need a shrub cut back in the back garden.

We are renting the property and are not local to the area anymore. So I initially asked the gentleman to send me by email a certificate of insurance. But between the jigs and the reels, I haven't got it yet. Should I insist on having proof of his insurance before I let him near our property with an axe? What are the legal implications for us if he injures himself or soemone else on our property? Who would be liable if he had no insurance?

We'd appreciate some guidance on this or where we can find out more on this.

Many thanks
m

I would insist on it. If he is not insured and injures himself or someone else you could have a sticky situation on your hands...

Since you are renting the property ,the landlord probably has insurance to cover this. Suggest ring the Landlord and see what the story is.
Presume the tree is 20 metres high !

Thanks Emerald, that's what I woudl be afraid of. But I'm such a scaredy cat sometimes, that I wanted to check to see was it reasonable and/or necessary to have such proof.

Gerry, we are the landlords :) We do of course have insurance, landlord insurance, but I need to check to see what it covers. But as far as I remember, it covers the basics only.

I imagine people providing services like gardening need to have insurance too...but as this is a big cost and with the times the way they are, I understand not everyone manages to keep it going at the moment.

I just wanted to know where we stand legally if the worst happens...before it happens.

Tree is really only 2 metres high and wide!

Back