Travelling to Boston Via Newark Airport

G

gentle123

Hi,

My mum is travelling on her own (for the first time), from Dublin to Boston with Continental Airlines via Newark Airport. Can anyone tell me where she will be going through immigration ??

And is it an easy conection to make at Newark?

Thanks

Gentle

Immigration

Immigration for the USA is done in Dublin airport now.

Re: Immigration

The fingerprinting and photo taking is done in Dublin ?? Sorry i just need to clarify, its a daunting experience for my mum !

or shannon

Yup, US immigration do the fingerprinting and photo taking in Ireland, either Dublin or Shannon depending on the last point of departure.

(I flew from Dub to Bos in Jan, immigration was at the stopover in shannon).

Re: or shannon

Thanks for your replies, it makes it easier knowing these little things !!

I think she'll have to change terminals in Newark on the outbound flight but not if she's returning via the same route.

All international flights arrive in Terminal B .. the flight from DUB will have cleared immigration (which is a great timesaver) but you'll still need to clear customs so it still arrives at the International Terminal I think ... Continental's terminal for departures to everywhere and domestic only arrivals is Terminal C

( I think it's C anyway - there's 3 terminals in Newark .. B which is for International Arrivals and departures for non US airlines is in the middle and the Continental Terminal is at the North End so it's A or C!)

There's a cute little monorail that you can transfer between the terminals (and the train station to NY) .. It's not too hard at all.

For the return flight since customs/immigration aren't involved the flight just departs from the regular Contintental terminal so no changes involved.

I flew with Continental to Miami via Newark a few years ago and got stranded in Newark for 5 hours because we missed our domestic flight owing to huge queues at customs. If I recall right it took an hour to clear. I never thought we'd have a problem when booking and I suppose Continental didn't either. Best check if you've enough time between flights or fly direct if possible - a $12 meal voucher doesn't make up for a 5 hour transfer.

Back