Travel - would you go?

Just saw a large room in a mediocre North inner city Dublin hotel advertised on Airbnb for 700 Euro per night. Ireland's hospitality industry might be signing its own death warrant.
Wouldn't have thought Airbnb would be the litmus test of Irelands tourism industry.

Wouldn't have thought Airbnb would be the litmus test of Irelands tourism industry.
The country has priced itself out of holding onto its covid boosted tourism industry(who havnt been as busy in 30 years) from once cheap hotels to guesthouses, overpriced restaurants particularly takeaways to overpriced canoe trips and the horse box 4euro coffee. Blame what you like, extra expense ,insurance , rent and or horse box conversion rates .The poorer in society are also being left behind and Canaries here we come.

By the way I have travelled Scandinavian countries . In Denmark particularly you wouldn't think covid exists, fully open now,no restrictions with numbers very low.The more it has opened over last few months the numbers are stable and the only difference I see is testing antigen and pcr is free and freely available. #The way forward

The country has priced itself out of holding onto its covid boosted tourism industry(who havnt been as busy in 30 years) from once cheap hotels to guesthouses, overpriced restaurants particularly takeaways to overpriced canoe trips and the horse box 4euro coffee. Blame what you like, extra expense ,insurance , rent and or horse box conversion rates .The poorer in society are also being left behind and Canaries here we come.
And yet as you say it's very busy, there is an element of over pricing but that too is unfortunately an international problem at the moment. The poorer being left behind, well if one was poor would holidays be a priority?

By the way I have travelled Scandinavian countries . In Denmark particularly you wouldn't think covid exists, fully open now,no restrictions with numbers very low.The more it has opened over last few months the numbers are stable and the only difference I see is testing antigen and pcr is free and freely available. #The way forward
They've also got one of the highest vaccination rates in the world, a fact you continue to ignore.

The country has priced itself out of holding onto its covid boosted tourism industry(who havnt been as busy in 30 years) from once cheap hotels to guesthouses, overpriced restaurants particularly takeaways to overpriced canoe trips and the horse box 4euro coffee. Blame what you like, extra expense ,insurance , rent and or horse box conversion rates .
We have high wages and high taxes. Tourism is a labour intensive and relatively low skilled sector so minimum wage rates have a big impact on costs. We have positioned ourselves to attract higher income tourists rather than flooding the place using package holiday type offerings. I think that's a good thing.
The poorer in society are also being left behind and Canaries here we come.
We have amongst the highest levels of social transfers (taking money from rich people and giving it to poor people) in the world.

I don't understand your point. The prices on Airbnb aren't set by Airbnb. They are determined by the provider which in this case is an Irish hotel.
You never mentioned it was a hotel you said a room . And Airbnb do not set the prices the provider does Airbnb takes the commission, just like every other hotel amalgamation site globally.

No, I said it was a room in a Dublin hotel sold via Airbnb.
My apologies so you did but I saw the post earlier......anyway thsts the market supply and demand and its everywhere our daughter has moved to Spain and my wife and her 2 sisters are visiting in 2 weeks hotels expensive, apartment via Airbnb €2000 for 4 nights. Cest la vie

We have high wages and high taxes. Tourism is a labour intensive and relatively low skilled sector so minimum wage rates have a big impact on costs. We have positioned ourselves to attract higher income tourists rather than flooding the place using package holiday type offerings. I think that's a good thing.

We have amongst the highest levels of social transfers (taking money from rich people and giving it to poor people) in the world.
Again Purple with those pesky facts ruining a perfectly good unfounded rant! :D

Obviously we should all be able to have a night out for the price of one in Spain. Now, just because that would mean those in the leisure, food, and entertainment industries here working for less than minimum wage and the government significantly reducing taxation on those industries isn't important, None of the rest of us are prepared to work for that kind of money while at the same time we want more and better services but we don't want to have to pay any more tax to fund it.

None of the rest of us are prepared to work for that kind of money while at the same time we want more and better services but we don't want to have to pay any more tax to fund it.
In order for those in the middle income bracket to feel well off the bottom 10% need to be dirt poor. I'd rather not feel well off.

They've also got one of the highest vaccination rates in the world, a fact you continue to ignore.
Like the first time you highlighted vaccination rates you will find they are the much the same as Irelands similar to the first time you highlighted this

Ah reduce the minimum wage

And yet as you say it's very busy, there is an element of over pricing but that too is unfortunately an international problem at the moment. The poorer being left behind, well if one was poor would holidays be a priority?

And increase the social transfer?
We havnt positioned ourselves anywhere for well off tourists ,we have an overinflated greedy economy where half the clowns going around with the 4 euro coffee can't afford it.we have fell into a tourist boom where we provide very little for a high cost and it will come back to bite

We havnt positioned ourselves anywhere for well off tourists ,we have an overinflated greedy economy where half the clowns going around with the 4 euro coffee can't afford it.we have fell into a tourist boom where we provide very little for a high cost and it will come back to bite
You're just wrong. We mightn't be the best at it but the data shows that's exactly what we've done.

Getting back to the title of the thread, passed through Dublin Airport with no fuss. Only observation is that many food places still closed and volume of travelling (age 50+) is low. ALingus very strict in relation to boarding and disembarking.. Told passengers to sit down when trying to skip queue at disembarking.

We went to Biarritz last week - bit of a last minute break. If it helps anyone, our experience was good.

Airports - Dublin was pretty good. We had fast track but to be honest, there weren't any queues. Shops and general areas were not packed and didn't feel crowded. Boarding with Ryanair was ok - but we had assigned seats so just didn't join any queues until virtually everyone had gone through so didn't have problems. Biarritz airport is small and very quick to get through. There was a vaccine cert check before getting to immigration. Not sure what happens if you didn't have the cert - though I don't imagine you could have flown. But useful to have a screenshot of your cert just in case you didn't have roaming data (see also below). Flights both ways were about 2/3 full but everyone had masks on the whole time and didn't see any messing around. Someone asked before - in Biarritz there is no bus shuttle to/from the plane. You walk to the plane. The only slightly close gathering was the holding pen in Biarritz on departure. You have to go through immigration before boarding. Again we held off going through until boarding had started so only in the room for a few mins - and everyone was pretty good on mask wearing

In Biarritz at least - if you don't have a vaccine cert (or equivalent) you are not going to have much fun. You can go into shops (masked) without certs but you need to show your cert to go to any restaurant or cafe. Not just inside - anywhere. So for example, we stopped at a sea side coffee van - so no indoors, all seating was benches outside. Still had to show cert when we ordered. And it was consistent - every single eating / drinking establishment scanned certs inside or out.

In general, mask wearing was pretty consistent - all shops and indoor spaces (like the market). Didn't see any messing. And generally masks were worn properly. People do seem to be in the habit of it. The only exception I noticed was our taxi driver going to the airport on the way home

Overall - have to say it was pretty good. It was our first time to travel since February last year and we'd be generally cautious over the last 18 months. But I have to say that going to a small airport with a 10 min trip from airport to town made it a pretty comfortable experience.

Back