Travel - would you go?

Tonight it has been announced that the rugby game will go ahead next weekend, so you have the full female rugby team and entourage flying in from France and not subjected to the mandatory quarantine, while the average Joe, vaccinated , showing a negative tests is facing a 14 day mandatory quarantine in a hotel at his own expenses. Where is the sense in all this ? A rule to prevent the virus from abroad which only applies to specific people but not others.

Tonight it has been announced that the rugby game will go ahead next weekend, so you have the full female rugby team and entourage flying in from France and not subjected to the mandatory quarantine, while the average Joe, vaccinated , showing a negative tests is facing a 14 day mandatory quarantine in a hotel at his own expenses. Where is the sense in all this ? A rule to prevent the virus from abroad which only applies to specific people but not others.

They are kept in an extremely tightly controlled environment with little to no contact with anybody outside their bubble and under strict protocols with regular testing. In effect they are isolating while here and then travelling back.

If your "average Joe" was willing to put in place the same protocols it would be a lot more expensive than the hotel stay

Where is the sense in all this ? A rule to prevent the virus from abroad which only applies to specific people but not others.

The government have to allow exceptions. If there were no exceptions, we’d effectively be following a Zero Covid approach.

The government have to allow exceptions. If there were no exceptions, we’d effectively be following a Zero Covid approach.
Exactly. Foreign officials, Truck Drivers, Essential workers etc can all travel here without going through quarantine.

while the average Joe, vaccinated , showing a negative tests is facing a 14 day mandatory quarantine in a hotel at his own expenses.
There's a huge difference in the risk profile of an average Joe and those travelling with these rugby teams. Lots of people have been ignoring the risks and inconvenience of the restrictions on everyone else and going away on holidays, you want to trust some piece of paper they present to state they have been vaccinated?

you want to trust some piece of paper they present to state they have been vaccinated?
Yes as it is done in other countries with e.g. Yellow fever vaccination.

They seem to have a QR code for digital verification - perhaps already too much high tech for Ireland though... :D

Yes as it is done in other countries with e.g. Yellow fever vaccination.

They seem to have a QR code for digital verification - perhaps already too much high tech for Ireland though... :D

You know anyone can create those QR codes, right? Unless they open their IT system and give the rest of the world access to their data, there is no verification.

That's the biggest challenge with the idea of Covid passports, how do you make the data available only to those who need it? How to you pollice shadow apps that just look like the real thing?

A secure global system would be unlikely to get universal approval, cost billions and take so long to develop that it would likely be obsolete before it's ready. If we look to develop a similar system for use here, I'd hope we give a little more thought to information security than Israel did.

You know anyone can create those QR codes, right? Unless they open their IT system and give the rest of the world access to their data, there is no verification.

That's the biggest challenge with the idea of Covid passports, how do you make the data available only to those who need it? How to you pollice shadow apps that just look like the real thing?

A secure global system would be unlikely to get universal approval, cost billions and take so long to develop that it would likely be obsolete before it's ready. If we look to develop a similar system for use here, I'd hope we give a little more thought to information security than Israel did.
QR Codes contain information or can be a link to a specific website - e.g. secure connection to a website hosted by the Israeli Health ministry confirming that person XY is vaccinated.
I have significantly more trust in Israeli Cybersecurity and capabilities than in Irelands ones but never mind.
On the Yellow Fewer vaccine requirements some countries have - these are done for years and years without any application - based on a piece of paper/stamp/etc.

QR Codes contain information or can be a link to a specific website - e.g. secure connection to a website hosted by the Israeli Health ministry confirming that person XY is vaccinated.

Exactly, they're just a fancy barcode, anyone can reproduce. What you're suggesting then with the link is that every country in the world publish a database with lots of details on their entire population, sufficient to differentiate one John Murphy from the next. So addresses, DOBs, passport numbers? You see the problem yet?

I have significantly more trust in Israeli Cybersecurity and capabilities than in Irelands ones but never mind.

You clearly have little understanding of the issues exposed with their app so. Don't confuse their advanced surveillance and monitoring capabilities with data protection.

"There has also been rising criticism from business people about the travel restrictions, including from Greencore chief executive Patrick Coveney who said it was “hard to overstate the incompetence and lack of foresight” in the Government’s mandatory hotel quarantine plan."
:D

I do not see travel restrictions on EU countries to be in for the longer term.

Yes it looks like these measures have been introduced without any background work. The countries have been added in a rather arbitrary way without defining how long the measures will be in place, and I wonder which criteria they have used to add these countries, for example in Germany the cases have been increasing steadily since March but Germany is not on the MHQ list. In Italy they have been decreasing since March but it's in the list. Israel was in the list until last week despite the cases decreasing steadily since January. Also Ireland looks like it's the only country in the EU to adopt such drastic measures. I also think they will be short lived , they make no sense especially when there is very lax control in-country with large gathering of students in the weekends partying and people more or less travelling freely, only facing a fine of 100€ vs fines of 400€ or 500€ in other EU countries.

I wouldn't be surprised it is gone by summer if not earlier.
Ireland is the only EU country doing that.
Hasn’t Germany closed it’s borders with the Czech Republic?

Anyway, I agree with you. It’s like that silly “traffic light” system we had last summer. Or that other concept that never got off the ground (npi), was it air bridges or air bubbles or something.

This is something that should have been done 12 months ago, or before Christmas.

True, while India with over a billion people, little control, and where the cases have increased tenfold in the last two weeks it's not on the mandatory hotel quarantine list, so if you fly in from Bombay you can quarantine at home, if you fly in from Brussells or Paris you have to go two weeks in a hotel at your expenses. I wonder how the HMQ countries have been picked ? Probably by a throw of the dice :D

Hasn’t Germany closed it’s borders with the Czech Republic?

Anyway, I agree with you. It’s like that silly “traffic light” system we had last summer. Or that other concept that never got off the ground (npi), was it air bridges or air bubbles or something.

This is something that should have been done 12 months ago, or before Christmas.
It's not a complete border closure.
Not like Ireland with Hotel Quarantine - friend of mine living in Germany was before Easter send to Czech for two weeks. After his return he had to stay at home for two weeks. Also was not locked into a hotel with strangers and paying for that prison out of his own pocket as Ireland does...
He went last Monday again to Czech - he installs machines for a living.
Commuting to / from work for certain job areas over the border is possible without quarantine - but you need tests.

Any one who wants to come to Ireland and avoid hotel quarantine just needs to take a flight or boat to Northern Ireland. Shouldn't be much of a problem then to cross the border...

Yes the all this is a huge farce. It shows the level of incompetence of the government. So I think next week or in two weeks' time all pubs in Northern Ireland, all restaurants, will open you will have crowds of young people moving from the republic gathering in the pubs in Northern Ireland and then coming back into the republic without checks, still if you come from 5 EU countries you have to mandatory quarantine in the hotel.

Registered on the online portal yesterday and very happy about it. Both my wife and myself now await a date for injection. One note for couples who want to register on the same day is to leave 10 minutes between registrations or it will keep going back to the 1st named. Otherwise a very easy process.
The Goverment may not have got everything right over the past year on this Covid catastrophe, who has? but praise where it's due. Huge strides are being made and there's no doubt the light is beginning to appear at the end of the tunnel and for that I say, well done to all and Thank you.

The High Court has ruled that a South African woman who challenged her detention in hotel quarantine is being detained lawfully.
Mr Justice Brian O'Moore said he had come to the view that the legislation being challenged on her behalf did not breach the Constitution.

Reactions: Leo
I see that the Government is to promote Staycation holidays this year. They are talking about scraping last years tax back scheme or whatever it was called, for a more user friendly scheme this season.

There have been the usual travel journalists promoting Irish holidays etc.

I would love to see one of these journalists or any journalist make a list of 10 hotels and price a holiday in mid August at today's prices and then price the same stay when the Government's new scheme is revealed.

Back